RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Old 06-03-2006, 03:56 PM

many thanks Ray once again for sharing the tips I had a play with your suggestion of using Bas Relief filter + lighting render (using spotlight). This Bas Relief filter is pretty strong! I guess the lighting direction should match the lighting direction of the oringinal photo. Maybe this is not needed in flatly lit photos.
I just find it a bit hard to find decent resolution top model photos from web sites of fashion photographers and cosmetic companies with very good, usable skin texture samples. Maybe it is time to invest a scanner for scanning fashion mags....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Singlo,

Yes the Bas Relief filter does seem pretty strong at first glance. However, of all the methods - it re-creates the depth of the pores that is characteristic of the ultra sophisticated Dior look. Balancing the strength of this look is a matter of your taste and the end objectives - but I do agree - this approach has to be coupled with subtle layer mask applications with brushes in the 20% range - or with layer opacities in the low 20-40% range - otherwise they do look strong. Its no problem really, just control it so that it matches your individual tastes.

Here is a site that will end your search for high quality, high resolution glamour images that will fill up your entire monitor screen with images so big that you can count individual eyelashes. The site is simply: skins.be Be sure to go to the FORUM section and then register. It is free - and it is highly worth the effort. There has to be a couple thousand images to pick from. Go to the High Quality thread. This is one of the better places to go for skin pores, eyelash cutouts, eye pupils, jewelry cutouts, hair strands, or shiny lips to add bits of sparkle to your own images.

Ray

Last edited by ray12; 06-04-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Ray, awesome You are my hero
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Wouldn't go that far!

Later on - would love seeing any kind of work you do. Its always fun to see other peoples efforts with images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2006, 07:35 PM

hi Ray, thanks

here is a 30 min rush job. Texture mask is from Hollywood goddess Keira knightley . First picture is Keira's skin texture. Second picture is my not so Keira lookalike model before applying texture. Third picture is the transformed texture mask to fit her. Fourth is the result with 35% opacity texture with layer mask..sorry it is a bit of rush & crude job but I must go to bed. (I think i need to tune down the texture a bit more in the shadow and mid-tone area.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keira-knightley-mask-small.jpg (75.6 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg before-texture-small.jpg (82.6 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg keira-knightley-skin-mask.jpg (90.2 KB, 328 views)
File Type: jpg after-texture-small.jpg (88.5 KB, 594 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2006, 08:55 PM

I like it Siglo, very nice job.

My own taste is for skin textures a little bit stronger than yours - thats why its so interesting to get a sense for other peoples work and taste here on the forum. So, thanks for being willing to share your work.

Sometimes I will put just a little bit of extra skin texture on the cheeks, or forehead, or chin - It gives the "Impression" to the viewers eye that the rest of the skin must be textured also - even if they dont actually see it. The hint of texture is someimes just enough.

Also, like you suggested a while back - once you get some master masks made up that you like - you can clone in the holes and extend the textures outward so the mask is very easy to use and apply.

Again, thanks for sharing. You created a great mask..

Last edited by ray12; 06-05-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 AM

Ray12, its possible to get this result with your technique? ....

Last edited by superfrasky; 06-26-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM

superfrasky,

Not totally sure how to answer your question. Your own base image is obviously very important to your own end success.

What the tutorial goes into is... shows a way to smooth out the skin, add in highlight glows where you want them, add selective shadow areas to the picture, how to use the models own skin or skin masks to add skin detail back in, and how to adjust the color palette for different looks.

One particular characteristic I notice about the photo you show above are the white highlights.

These can be created in many ways.

- Where to put the highlights...Use a threshold adjustment to see the actual highlight areas in the image to accentuate, or control click the channels RGB thumbnail to get a selection of the highlight areas in the image, or best yet, artistically hand paint them in exactly where you want them - and then - use the softlight layer mode so that they blend in well).

- Making the highlights super soft and easily blended... Use gaussian blur to soften and spread the highlights and to create smooth blended edges.

- Making the highlights glow... Use the diffuse glow filter.

- Finally... Adjust the highlights intensity to suit your needs using the layer opacity sliders.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by ray12; 06-16-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Thumbs down

ray12 , Thank you for great tutorial !
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2006, 02:31 AM

Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Ray12!

Thank you for this incredible tutorial. I am going to try it soon! Really good of you to take the time to write it all out!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials