RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

How do you find this tutorial?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 AM

Thumbs down Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Olof: you can find the tutorial here:
http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=209

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Hi all.

Thanks for all your kind comments here! I'm the author of this tutorial and I have a question...

Several acquaintances have suggested that I consider doing a full video version of this tutorial. It would be much more detailed than the written version and would obviously be easier to understand and much more visually interesting.

Im thinking I would cover strong Photoshop skills and the Dior retouching skills at the same time. I would go from basic to advanced and cover each of the major steps in a separate section. What I would end up with is what I call the "infinitely adjustable portrait" - where all adjustments would be dynamic and adjustable so that the end user could adjust each retouching aspect to their own taste and degree of intensity.

I was asking on the main forum how to market this. I do photoshop great but how to produce the video DVD from a marketing standpoint is something I am new to.

I was thinking of how long (2 hours maybe)? Subjects (from levels, to blemish removal, to porcelain skin, to digital makeup, to hair retouching and overall balance)? Format (DVD primarily - good quality - so users could see the steps and settings easily without the web blur). And naturally, price ( who knows what the marketplace would bear... for a full treatment of glamour portrait retouching process, and the necessary Photoshop steps and skills...all from beginning to end - Maybe $49.00 USD to maybe 79 or $99. The more I make from it the happier I'll be - but I have to price it smartly for the user too.

I also have a library of special retouching and makeup brushes and textures for repairing skin, painting in hair, hair textures, different kinds of eyelashes and lip glosses and even eyeshadow and lipstick palettes. I also have a Dior color palette. I was thinking that these might be separate - some would not need them?

The time frame might be late spring early summer.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments or expertise that might help me along some?

Thanks for your help in this.

Ray 12
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM

wow, some the besto tutorial about retouching. thanks.. well if you produce a DVD, is good, but im from mexico and here dont arrival stuff, you can put online the lessons and option for suscribe to the site..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM

you don't have to make a dvd in order for it to be of high quality, lynda.com makes their tutotials movies at only 5 fps as anything more seems to be overkill and they use .mov files as opposed to those aweful .wmv files...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray12 View Post

Let me give away a very hard won skin texture process. The most polished way to get that specific Dior looking skin texture is to make that high pass version first - and then - run it through the Menu> Filter> Sketch> Bas Relief filter. Use a detail of 14 and a sharpness of 1 - and here is the best part- light the texture from the Top Left. Now you have the highly accentuated pores that you see in the magazines - with the correct lighting angle to go with it! You can also try other lighting angles to fit your needs. Note: This technique can produce very pronounced yet natural pores - so you have to use a layer mask to control it or a much lower layer opacity setting to look great.

Ray
the bas relief filter really worked well, i found it too difficult to use another shot for the pores and no matter how much high pass/USM I used it didn't look like some of the images i've seen in fashion magazines or any of the images from some of the porfolios on this site....i still think there's room to improve the final texture even further but i doubt the pros will reveal all their secrets...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 AM

Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits- Make a Pattern Patch

Ray Good Tutorial, for a skin texture paint in, one could use the highpass, tech etc, and make a pattern patch to use as the texture source to add the texture with the Pattern sampt tool,where desired. On seperate layer set to Soft light, addin the texture were needed and fade the opacity to adjust. Probably not as good as the full face tech, but sometimes you just need a little tex here and there, and is much quicker. It beats using noise, for sure. To make a pattern patch ref.: new doc, 64x64pixels-300dpi, transparent, BG, drag a skin texture - Highpass'ed and sharpened, to the New Doc, set layer to softlight, Flaten and save as "Define pattern", then use the pattern stamp tool (Under the Stamptool) and drop down on the Blue bubbles pattern in the tool bar to choose the new pattern you just made. On New layer set to soft light, Paint in texture where you need it ( Opac 50%) and then fade it to just enough. Qucik and simple, although not as refined as your procedure, but good to use on 140 retouches tonight. You're right that the suggestion of skin texture is all that is needed to make the RT more believeable. Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 PM

thanks for new idea. I am yet to try that. I have never used pattern stamp tool.

Question: If you paint in texture, you have to paint a given area only once not twice or more, otherwise the texture gets smudge. Or if the opacity is low enough, you can get away with several strokes of painting texture on the same area? How do you blend different painted texture areas on a face seamlessly togethor? I don't know if my question makes any sense?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Hi All

Thanks for the comments and questions. I have been traveling.

Im just now beginning to work on a training DVD (about time) that shows all the exact steps of adding accurate skin textures back into cleaned up skin.

There are about 6 different kinds of skin textures on a face. They all have different characteristics, directions and patterns.

The six different skin textures are: forehead skin texture, under the eyes skin texture, cheek texture, nose texture, under the lip texture and chin texture. Each of these texture patterns are uniquely different from each other visually. The most professional looking results come from adding the correct texture withinin each zone.

Once you develop a good "Master Section" of this skin texture pattern...it can be successfully used over and over again on many different models. The texture, the pattern and the direction are fairly much the same across most people.

My experience is that low opacity layer masking is the most predictable and controlled way to get perfectly placed and nicely blended textures.

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2007, 02:01 PM

This is one of the most helpful tutorials I've ever done. I've approximated this effect in many ways for a while but the highlight/shadow soft light thing is something I've overlooked. Far better than the 50% Overlay Dodge/Burn method. That's of course useful, but none too flexible or artful.

Ray - write more tutorials or a book! I'll preorder today!

Scott
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials