RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Oops - missed the dvd discussion, reposted from the first page. Ray about the DVD, I don't think a dvd would be overkill but you could accomplish much with cd content (much lower production costs). PhotoshopCafe and their Wacom Graphics series are excellent. I (personally) do not like the cumbersome interface of the Lynda.com menus. Photoshop cafe's approach is the best I've seen.

Although Scott Kelby is the 'master' at such hot selling dvds, I think his narration is too simplistic. Your market would be much more narrow, being advanced/professional photoshop users but these individuals (I believe) would easily pay for the quality level of your detailed guides.

The most impressive thing about your tutorial is to take an already acceptable image and create something masterful out of it, there are FAR TOO many of the quick/dirty/fast/neato type tricks/tips dvds out there. Avoid that, as I'm sure you would already, but just something I've been thinking about.

You might want to try and partner with something like UK's Advanced Photoshop magazine, which already produces excellent tutorials using high level photohgraphy and industry renowned professionals to gauge how your tutorial work is received. They also regularly distribute custom brushes/fonts/etc on their dvds but you should definitely save those for your own distribution. Contact them and publish a feature in their magazine, for which they already distribute a rich and professional cd in every issue. It would give you an opportunity to step into the tutorial production with someone else's backing and also see how much interest it generates.

This may sound dorky, but you might also want to do this with NAPP's magazine, Photoshop User. Katrin Eisman, Deke McLelland, Scott Kelby, JP Caponigro among others regularly do excellent in-depth tutorial work in that mag and it already has a huge subscription base for people who do photoshop work on a professional level. It would get your name out there and only help in garnering attention if/when you do create an entire dvd. Might pay pretty well too.
I sincerely believe that the best ways to get your dvd noticed and actually make some money would be to somehow partner/write for/advertise in/get reviewed by PHotoshop User or Advanced Photoshop UK, and above all, get it distributed for purchase via Amazon.

Does that help at all?

Scott

(Photoshop - if you do create this, i'd be thrilled and most eager to pony up for a purchase.)

Last edited by robotdevil; 09-06-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Adding detail, correcting spelling errors.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2007, 01:41 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the comments. You are highly creative. I like many of your suggestions. I may have some contacts in those areas, and I think you are brilliant for suggesting that approach.

Right now im working on producing some High-Resolution "Hair Brushes" to be able to repair a models hair that doesn't cut out cleanly using Adobe's selection tools. Its always tough to extract a model from the background via a cutout because the hair never looks right in the small details. What I have done is to photograph actual hair in studio conditions that cuts out cleanly and drops right in place over the existing damaged hair areas. This hair repair brush set can be made any color to match existing colors. Im also working on some Lip Gloss Brushes, Eye Lash Brushes and Eye Catch Light Brushes in order to spice up a retouch. Im hoping that these extra dazzle brushes will add value to the package. They all add a nice sparkle to a portrait and since they are brushes - they apply real easily.

Im still working on developing a price point. Everybody has their own range of what they consider good value for the money they part with. If anyone has any suggestions in that area... its one area that i havent finished thinking about. What is that magic number for "Too high = fewer sales, down lower in price = brings in more quantity".

Im going to do full retouches on 3 models it seems like...and show all the steps in full motion on the DVD and explain how-to and why im doing each step. Im working on the script.

Thanks for your input. Ive wanted to update this tutorial here several times but just got busy. I appreciate your comments and insights. They are real helpful.

Ray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM

Excellent tutorial. Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2007, 11:07 AM

I am trying out something NEW.

I am Now doing Live Glamour Retouching Seminars On-Line. I broadcast my live desktop and sound... right into your web browser live.

I will be teaching students the Techniques of Glamour Retouching... plus some of the hidden secrets of the NYC Retouchers.

I will cover correcting levels, balancing exposures, color correcting, blemish removal, wrinkle reduction, skin smoothing, adding pore detail, electronic makeup techniques, facial contouring, sparkeling eye retouching, lip retouching, lip glosses, eye lashes, adding interest and focus to portraits, and hair repair.

This is in preparation to creating a new 2 hour retouching Training DVD.

You can contact me here using a Personal Message if you have questions...

Last edited by ray12; 09-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-25-2007, 09:59 AM

Great tutorial Ray. Much appreciated time and effort.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 AM

Great tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 AM

Im considering the possibility of updating the content on this tutorial...does anyone have any suggestions or desires on what direction I might take it?

Thanks Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 AM

can you get similar results without blurring and expand the section on adding/making texture as that seems to be the one step that is difficult to do right...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Smile Re: That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

Just been through the tutorial. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks for your kind comments.

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 10-04-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials