Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Easily and safely provide proofs for your client.

Old 02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Exclamation Proofs - Easily and safely provide proofs for your client.

Photoshop can easily automate a gallery - very simple and no html skills required. I've create a test file with the method outlined below as an example for this mini-tutorial:
If the backend of your website is not already automated to send proofs to your clients, there is an overlooked feature in photoshop that automates a web-page for you to safely and easily allow your clients to view proofs, approve and email feedback to you. All you have to do is provide the images, input some information, and the text you would like to present. Photoshop then creates the low-res files and thumbnails from the images you provide, and writes the HTML code to a folder of your choice. There are a number of very nice templates. You can have the metadata from the info file you place in your file display as "Image Info" for the client to view. You have a choice of colors and even to place a date and copyright watermark. If all of this seems confusing; it is not.
Here are the steps to an almost instant Client Proof Area- start to finish 5-15 minutes:
1. Select the image(s) you want to send as proofs and put them in a folder (they can be psd).

2. Create a destination folder where photoshop will create and place all of your files.

3. In Photoshop choose File> Automate > Web Photo Gallery. You will be presented with a dialog box.

4. Styles: The first pull-down menu allows you to choose a style and gives you a small preview thumbnail to the right side to get an idea of the layout (too small really).

5. Email: Place your email address here.

6. Source Images- Use: Choose the folder you created and placed your proof images (see step 1).

7. (Destination) Choose your destination folder: This is the folder you created for Photoshop to place your files (see step 2).

8. Options: This pulldown menu is where you will decide what information is provided on your page.

A. Banner: You can fill in the "Site Name," "Photographer," and "Contact Information" with any text that will be displayed at the top of the frame. You can choose to have a date, or take it out and leave it blank.

B. Larger images: select an image dimension of your proof image(s). I used 450 px in my example. Here you can also choose what resolution the jpg that PS creates will have. The information for "Title Use" will be taken from the metadata from the "File info" of your image (With your proof file open in Photoshop select: File > File Info, fill in the info you want to display and then Save prior to placing the file in your folder [see step 1).

C. Thumbnails: allow you to select a size and a border size for the thumbnails ps will create.

D. Custom Colors: pretty much self-explanatory.

E. Security: Here you can choose to have photoshop watermark your images and choose a size, oppacity, and placement of the watermark on your image.

When you are finished filling in the information, click on "OK" and in a couple of seconds your folder will be ready to upload onto your website.

You can also tweak the pages you create. Here I used one as an easy gallery:

I hope you find this useful. Have fun!

Last edited by Nanls; 02-11-2006 at 12:30 PM. Reason: A friend read this tutorial and asked me to clarify.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Re: Easily and safely provide proofs for your client.

Thanks very much for this, I been looking for a decent way to do this. This, while very basic, does what I need.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials