Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Using Acrobat to Capture Tutorials

Old 08-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Using Acrobat to Capture Tutorials

If you have Adobe Acrobat CS2 you can capture most of the Retouch Pro Tutorials as PDF files (or any other web page) which will contain all graphics and live (clickable) links. I store these on my hard drive and later burn to CD.

1 Go to the Web page you want to capture and Copy the URL from the page then run Acrobat.

2. In the Tool Bar, select Create PDF -> From Web Page

3. Paste the URL into the next dialog box. Decide how "deep" you want to go with any links that are on the page(s). Obviously a page like CNN could go thousands of levels deep, but a tutorial may only be one page deep. Just remember that any links that appear on your downloaded page will be "live" links and you can click them later to either add them to your PDF document OR view them in your web browser. If you click a live link, you have the option to add the linked page to the current PDF. It's not often that you will want to "Get entire site"

4. After clicking on the Create button, you will get a download status window. Open the flip triangle to see the stuff that is being downloaded for your PDF. I also find it handy to add a comment note to the first page with the original URL for future reference.

5. The resulting page will then open in Acrobat. Add links if you wish or just SAVE AS the new PDF file.

The screen shots below will show you where to go in Acrobat to find the feature and the ensuing dialog boxes that will show when you do the process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-1.jpg (16.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-2.jpg (13.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Picture-3.jpg (17.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Swampy; 08-02-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Smile Using Older Versions of Adobe Acrobat

I have version 6 and I use it to save tutorials. I select the part of the page I want and then go to File>Print. Select Adobe PDF as the printer, check selection and then print. It will make a pdf copy and the url will be at the bottom of the last page. Quick and easy!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
I used to use the same method, Marcia, but capturing the page does include live links and bookmarks along with .swf, flash and other media files directly into the PDF. It is an extra step, but produces a "richer" file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2006, 01:37 PM
If you'd like to add a bunch of *selected* links in your pdf, just get one level deep and then go to Advanced > Web Capture > View Web Links... and pick the hopefully obvious ones for an all at once download. Just be careful with links that you think have more than one page, or they will overlap if you finish them manually.

Explore the other options too
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials