RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Tutorial contest?

Old 09-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Patron

Re: Tutorial contest?

Hey, good call Doug!
As far as judging entries goes, topic aside, clarity, thoroughness and user friendliness are important across the board.
Kerry, I have noticed that tutes covering the more basic things (for the newbies) are rather sparse on the ground and there is a need there and, if anything, doing a tutorial for beginners would be more of a challenge than the more advanced stuff
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
.... I think we'd be better off with 10 random tuts rather than 10 ways of looking at Mt. Fuji, if you know what I mean.
This is very clear... and thinking 'RP' ... I couldn't agree more...

Quote:
...I wouldn't even mind open kibbitzing...
.. here I'm hopelessly lost .. I'm sure it is something edible ...right??

Quote:
Remember, though, that I'm more interested in getting several good tutorials up than in traditional contesting.
... You don't say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoo
I have noticed that tutes covering the more basic things (for the newbies) are rather sparse on the ground and there is a need there and, if anything, doing a tutorial for beginners would be more of a challenge than the more advanced stuff
Great suggestion Littlecoo .... Keep the ideas coming...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 06:24 PM
Janitor

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kibitz
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 PM

When I said all of one topic, I wasn't quite thinking anything as "tight" as "improving this pic of Mt Fuji", more a case of (for example) "different techniques to de-noise", or "different sharpening techniques", or "techniques for creating a sketch from", or something like that.

All on similar topic therefore directing towards areas where we are short of tutorials, but with sufficient leeway for there to be variation in the entries so that (if that is desired) all can be kept.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks Doug!!

Found it on my dictionary as well ...

kibitz:
(fam. USA) dare consigli non richiesti (detto specialm. dello spettatore di un gioco di carte). .... apparently in Italy this happens more often while people are playing cards...

Gary,

of course! ..... Now I see what you meant ... and I'm back to square 1:

Quote:
Still uncertain about:
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Janitor

Ok, Gary, I see your point. Anyone have suggestions on topics that get asked about a lot but we're short on tutorials? Or should our first one be even simpler ("illustrate a common Photoshop task")?

And this might be needlessly complicating things, but I try to encourage writing the tutorials offline and then publishing them (I've gotten too many sad emails "your tutorial system ate my tutorial and now I have to remember what I typed") so how would it be to have a start date (a beginning of a month) so they could have 3 weeks to compose it, and a day or two to actually publish? Then the next few days would be the voting?

Or would that just make everyone procrastinate and eventually forget about it?

And has everyone subscribed to our "What's New" forum? That's the ony way I can imagine announcing to everyone short of having them subscribe to the entire RP Tutorials forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM

For breaking the ice I would start with a simple Tutorial... "Illustrate a common Photoshop task" is an excellent idea.

Quote:
...how would it be to have a start date (a beginning of a month) so they could have 3 weeks to compose it, and a day or two to actually publish? Then the next few days would be the voting?
Perfect! ... Similar to the Studio Contests:

from 1 October (very, very tight but we could try...) ...to 25 October for entries ... and from 26 October to 31 October for voting.

Otherwise 1 November to 24 November for entries ... 25 November to 30 for voting.

Quote:
And this might be needlessly complicating things, but I try to encourage writing the tutorials offline and then publishing them .... Or would that just make everyone procrastinate and eventually forget about it?
I don't think so, specially if the risk is to have to start from scratch because "the tutorial system ate my tutorial and now I have to remember what I typed" .... Once written offline it's only a matter of copy and paste...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2006, 11:52 PM

As I follow this thread I am getting more and more interested in participating in a tutorial contest (especially after Littlecoo's suggestion to work on more beginner level tutorials). So if you decide to have one, I'm in. I rather like Flora's suggestion for the contest theme and time constraints.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 AM

I've seen a lot of requests for details on getting skin tones right, or how to "smooth" out skin blemishes (whilst keeping texture detail), seems that's a topic where there are a number of approaches to getting a good final result. (Haven't looked to see how many tutorials we already have on that subject, so can't at this moment say if we're already oversubscribed or not).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 AM

I have never writen a tutorial, but the suggestion of a contest, has made me wonder if I could do it, and if so what on.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials