Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

30 second Paint with Light Cheat

Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Re: 30 second Paint with Light Cheat

excellent tutorial, very concise and easy to follow! im a newbie and appreciate all the help i can get. thankyou!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2007, 10:52 PM

Thank you for sharing, the best technique i come across.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by byRo View Post
Well done Nancy! Very useful and easy to understand.

I use this technique similar to this a lot, and it is great for giving some depth to flat images.

For those that have another 30 seconds to spare, and don't mind complicating things a wee bit, there are couple of extensions to the technique that could be considered:
1) Overlay blending is an additive process, as you say "the lights get lighter and the darks get darker". Although overlay blending won't actually result in clipping, it will result in less definition at the ends of the histogram. This, sometimes, may be exactly the effect required but, in general, it's a good idea to lower the contrast of the base image (-10 or -20%) before applying the process - probably about the only time the Brightness / Contrast tool can be safely used.
Afterwards, you'll probably have to apply a levels adjustment to get things full-range again.
This little addition allows you to acheive even more contrast without sacrificing the colours.

2) The technique is great for making the subject stand out and so when you "mask out any areas that you're not happy with.." consider masking out all of the background as well.
Looking forward to seeing more of your tutorials.

I agree it is the best tutorial I have seen on the subject!
Only I find the title a bit misleading:it's not exactly about PWL, but local contrast enhancement...
ByRo: about masking: With Elements and without masks you simply have to paint with 50% grey on the mask to mask out what you want. Or if you have a selection of the subject, inverse selection then inverse (Ctrl I) which blurs nicely the background. With yet another 30 seconds, you can limit the action to dodging and burning. How? Insert a 50% grey solid color adjustment layer in overlay (or softlight) mode under the overlay layer and group the top layer with the grey one. Change top layer mode to lighten or darken... Not only will this give more controlled effects, but it may be the best way to get rid of sharpening halos. Why a solid color adjustment instead of a standard layer? No gain in file size, but you have a mask even in Elements...

Thanks again and I hope for other tutorials of this quality!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
Here is a version done with Lucis Art.

Did you apply Lucis Art after the tutorial?
Thanks Nancy for this tutorial. I'm sure I will be applying this to alot of my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-20-2007, 07:39 PM

This is a great tutorial, Look nice in magazine cover:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2008, 07:52 AM

thank you
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials