RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Dodge and Burn Technique

Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Patron

Re: Dodge and Burn Technique

Gamedonechanged, D&B refers to the concepts of lightening and darkening respectively. There are a considerable number of ways to accomplish D&B. The D&B tools in the Tool Bar are actual the least used method because they do not offer the most accurate control and they are not easily reversible.
Three of the most popular methods of D&B are:

1. "light" and a "dark" Curve Adjustment layers (one for each) set to Soft Light (or sometimes Overlay, Darken, Lighten) blend mode - must almost always to Soft Light.

2. A Layer filled with 50% Gray and Soft Light Blend mode. This single layer is used for both dodging and burning.

3. A solid color adjustment layer - one for D and the other for B both set to Soft Light Blend mode.

Depending on which method you use, some color shifting will occur during the process. This is often corrected with a new layer set to Color blend mode and selectively painted.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks mistermonday. Prior to finding this site I had used something similar to 2 only I had 1 layer set to colour dodge and the other set to colour burn. Both flled with 50% neautral colour.

The tutorial on page 1 of this thread seems to use something similar to 1 only the layers are set to normal.

One thing I have noticed this is quite a lengthy process but so far even doing small areas I can see how powerful it can be. On my practice piece I am up to the stage where I have lightened all the dark areas that were causing patchy areas on the girls skin so now I have to start the shading and lighting process. It's a great technique although my finger hurts. I should be getting a tablet soon though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Patron

Sorry, I had a brain burp. The curves method layers are usually set to normal and you paint on the masks to modulate the effect. The process is often slow and tedious but produces professional results over blurring techniques.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 PM

i am on a dail up so just cannot upload psd file

ok i have removed the file as request by u my point was that this can be done other way also

sorry if you felt bad

you did a great finishing work

thanks for that

Last edited by artist1961; 09-02-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist1961 View Post

but here is my work

cs2 used blur tool with masks layers
Please remove this file. You are not authorized to use it since my logo is on it, because of that it looks now like 'I' did this work. And i don't want that since 1. it isn't my work 2. you blurred it and posted in a thread about dodge and burn 3. the file was only an example to show, not to work on. Please use some other file to practice on, this .PSD file was just to show people how dodge and burn works.

Thank you.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Ruud can you or someone advise me on this.

Ok on my practice piece of the tutorial I have gotten to the part where I have lightened all the dark spots that were making the skin look patchy. Now the part where it says take a bigger brush and brush on the curves layers accordingley. This is referring to shading and lighting now right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist1961 View Post

ok i have removed the file as request by u my point was that this can be done other way also

sorry if you felt bad

you did a great finishing work

thanks for that
Thank you for understanding

thanks! you really should learn the dodge and burn technique, believe me you'll love it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post

Ok on my practice piece of the tutorial I have gotten to the part where I have lightened all the dark spots that were making the skin look patchy. Now the part where it says take a bigger brush and brush on the curves layers accordingley. This is referring to shading and lighting now right?

I believe it is just try what comes out good to you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post

Yes it could be, I also find that if I do a lot of detailed dodging and burning close up that it evens out certain areas in sections so that the skin becomes brighter in some areas and darker in others on a larger scale, and I often later have to go over this with a larger brush to even out those areas but I use a much lower opacity. GET A TABLET! There's really no point in D&B without a tablet. You'll be so relieved, trust me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 06:09 AM

Yeah a tablet is next on my list of things to get. I just got a new imac so still getting to grips with switching over from a PC.

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials