RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Photoshop Channel concepts: The Power of Ten

Old 08-22-2007, 08:00 AM

Re: Photoshop Channel concepts: The Power of Ten

Well done, Michel B!

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 AM

Hi Michael,

Wow... I thought I knew something about photoshop and digital imaging until I found this site and especially your posts. I've been using photoshop since version 2, but now I realize just how much I still need to learn. I'm very interested in your solution to the high contrast image (the backlit christmas scene) and custom ICC profiles. I had no idea that this type of adjustment could be done just by assigning a new profile. I would like to learn more about creating and using custom profiles. Is there a book or website that you recommend that covers this subject? Is there a website where I could download custom ICC profiles, like there is for actions, etc.

Thanks for your time!
Andy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Pirate,

GREAT, I have been a user of the technique of using LAB channels to find an alternative means to an end. Found your action to be very useful. Great insight. Thanks
Richard
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 02:53 PM

Michael,

Thanks for the step-by-step help...I still need lots of practice to figure out what corrections any particular photo would need...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbsouth View Post
Hi Michael,

Wow... I thought I knew something about photoshop and digital imaging until I found this site and especially your posts. I've been using photoshop since version 2, but now I realize just how much I still need to learn. I'm very interested in your solution to the high contrast image (the backlit christmas scene) and custom ICC profiles. I had no idea that this type of adjustment could be done just by assigning a new profile. I would like to learn more about creating and using custom profiles. Is there a book or website that you recommend that covers this subject? Is there a website where I could download custom ICC profiles, like there is for actions, etc.

Thanks for your time!
Andy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to RetouchPRO!

Thanks for the comments.

I can't say that I've been using Photoshop since version 2, but I could probably get my hands on a copy of version 3 if I go digging around in my attic.

I can't take credit for the idea of using custom ICC profiles. I got the technique from reading Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis.

I don't know of any specific websites on this topic, but Dan has a newsgroup over at Yahoo, and there's a discussion of his work over at Digital Grin where I volunteered to do the chapter summary on ICC profiles. It's still in the works, I got promoted to management a little while ago and have been quite busy lately, but when finished I'll very likely post an edited version here at RetouchPRO.

It certainly is a powerful technique, and as stated previously I use variations on it quite often. Dan's book shows how to create the custom ICC profiles used in his examples and provides them on the companion CD.

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny7 View Post
Pirate,
Arrrr...

That be Cap'n to you, ye swob!

Arrrr...

Quote:

GREAT, I have been a user of the technique of using LAB channels to find an alternative means to an end. Found your action to be very useful. Great insight. Thanks
Richard
Hi Richard, welcome to RetouchPRO!

I'm glad you find the action useful and thanks for the comments,

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahved View Post
Michael,

Thanks for the step-by-step help...I still need lots of practice to figure out what corrections any particular photo would need...
You're welcome!

There's the rub. All the fancy technique means nothing if you don't know when and why to apply it.

I'm very much in that boat myself. Working in the print industry, I have an eye for print, so I know when and why to fix images so they look good on paper. But I don't really have a "retoucher's eye". Which means I don't immediately see the things that are required to make an image of a model's face ready for a high-end fashion magazine.

This thread is a good example. I looked at the image and thought, "That should print well, what more does it need?" But the retouchers see a myriad of issues which need correcting.

So not only do you have to learn how to use Photoshop, you also have to learn why to use it.

But that's what makes it so much fun!

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 AM

Re: More than Ten

You are not limited to the 10 channels in the Channels palette. It is most definitely a good start, but there is more. If you know the different colour spaces, blending modes, and ChOps, then you can extract even more channels.

Attached is an example of the pure hue channel and saturation channel (HsY). Both of these done with stock tools.

(I borrowed the tiger - I hope you don't mind.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tiger_huesat.jpg (75.6 KB, 86 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Nice one, Stroker!

I keep the old HSB/HSL plugin around to extract Hue and Saturation channels.

Giving me, in essence, a total of 14 channels!

But the "B" of HSB, the "L" of HSL, and the "L" of LAB, are pretty much identical.

So I just stick with the "L" of LAB since it's far easier to get to.

But the "H" and the "S" sure come in handy at times!

Regards,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Thumbs up Re: Photoshop Channel concepts: The Power of Ten

Many Thanks Michael,

I will pick up a copy of the book that you mentioned. Looking forward to learning more about the technique.

Andy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials