Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Looking help how to get this image

Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Looking help how to get this image

Dear friends,

Could u help me how to get this image? I wonder how to get this effect (classic circle effect & noise) ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rio_1.JPG (30.0 KB, 351 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Re: Looking help how to get this image

Welcome to Retouch Pro, eighteyes!

This looks like the model was extracted and placed over a starry night photo (deep space kind of shot) and an outer glow effect applied for the haloing. On a layer above you can draw circles of various sizes and fill with a soft color similar to the glow at various levels of opacity and set to screen mode for the circles. (Or perhaps a gradient overlay on the circle layer.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM

I agree. I can think of a few ways to do that.

If I were going to do it, I would make a base layer of the starry background, probably from Starry Night, or some other astronomy software with pictures of your choosing. I would make the second layer of the girl, set with a low opacity so the stars could be seen through her. The third layer would also be the girl, but with 100% opacity so the stars could not be seen through her. I would mask that third layer to reveal all, and slowly brush away the parts of her that you want the stars to show through with a soft edged brush, set to about 25% opacity. Make several sweeps until it looks just right. Then use your blur tool on the edges of the mask to soften the effect.
Create a new layer on top of those, and create circles in various places and in various sizes, wherever you think they might look nice, with the eliptical shape tool, using black. If you are using 7.0 or earlier, each shape will create its own layer. If you are using CS3 (and probably CS2, I'm not sure), the shape tool will create paths. Create a few, name the path, get off the path selection in the paths dialog, and create a new path with more circles in a new place.
When you are satisfied with the number, size, position, etc., of the circles, create as many new layers as there are paths, go to the paths dialog, fill each path selection on each layer respectively (fill with black).
Then set the opacity as desired for each to create the depth, putting some in the foreground, some in the background. Move some of the layers if need be if you need some of the bubbles to go behind the girl.
Invert each layer to turn them white. Mask each layer, revealing all.
Then hit the mask on each circle with a shot of black (almost to the edges), set to the appropriate opacity to clear the center, in order to create the "bubble" look.
Perhaps touch one or two of them, maybe even three, with a lens flare, using 105mm Prime (which comes out white vs. red), set to the appropriate % that looks right to you.
Raise or lower the opacity of the layers until they look as desired and flatten the image.

That's how I would go about it, just thinking off the top of my head. It might not work, though. You'd have to try it.

Last edited by AFrazier; 04-06-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2008, 05:38 PM

Actually, they aren't even bubble-like. They are just white dots. I'd fill them with white, forget the invert, and just work with the opacity.

Personally, I'd have made them bubbles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM

I think I would approach this type of image as
  • mask out the girl
  • blend her with the starry background, et al
  • Add the dots (or brushes perhaps for the shapes)
  • Overlay a color adjustment layer in blue hues - masking her face to allow her skin tone to come through
  • Add a few more colored dots with reduced opacity
  • Add text

But as already mentioned, your technique can vary.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials