RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Good images gone BAD!

Old 09-19-2008, 05:46 AM

Re: Good images gone BAD!

Hi. Another newbie here, but just wondered if this might solve the problem. As I understand it you want an oval image displayed on your web background. An easy way to do this is rather than have a transparent background to your image, make it the same colour as the web page. That way you can save as a .jpg which will give better quality and you won't be able to tell that its a square image. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:00 AM

thanks for the reply. I don't want that because it's not a single shade of color on my background. That is an easy fix, believe me, I would much rather have a single color/shade. Make my life easier.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 AM

Ho hum. You're sort of stuffed, then. I don't think you can do a drop shadow effectively in a .gif. Forget it. Perhaps try a photoshop filter edge to your image instead? What's the link to your website?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:11 AM

www.colebrookgoldens.com
www.colebrookpugs.homestead.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 AM

Some simple layer style and stroke added then using the Beach color as a matte when converting back to a GIF
Attached Images
File Type: gif runningpuppiesmodifiedMatte.gif (37.5 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 AM

The only problem is... My wife is very anal when it comes to the website. She doesn't want the mattes. Been there - done that! I have actions that I can create mattes and boarders and actually get close to the backgrounds, but she doesn't want them either. I just feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle. I just want to get them as smooth edged as possible with some niced drop shadow for 3D effects and then I will be happy. Like I said, up to the point of saving, the images are absolutely beautiful. I have even gone as far as vignettes and they look horrible.
I know it is something very simple I'm missing, just can't figure out what it is. I guess that is the problem with being new to the digital world of design!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 AM

A gif matte just helps blend into the background as the next sample of a simple emboss then using the gif matte using the marble color then on the marble.. Try the Gif in my other post on your Beach background and see if it looks OK

Other than this process I guess you could use a section of your background as a frame and paste your RGB jpeg image on it leaving a half inch or more as a border...

I am spent!!
Good Luck!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif MattedGIF.gif (54.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg EmbossedGifOnMarble.jpg (29.4 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Could I suggest using Fireworks? That might be a better option than just Photoshop? Personally, if it was my website, I'd ditch the background image and then it would be easier to do cool edges to photos. Here's a link a logo I did in PS for a website.
http://www.wilmingtoncameraclub.co.uk/
Its a rectangle and the grey is the same as the page. At least you can get a drop shadow that way.

I've never used Homestead. Looks like they have some nice, clean designs. And they say you can customize designs. Not that difficult, but if you don't have much experience in web design, it might be a bit of a learning curve.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 AM

See, this is what i'm talking about. How did you get that? Is that marble the same as my background marble? This is where my inexperience is coming into play. I have been through tutorials and figured lots of secrets, but I don't really know how to find for things of this nature... what to call it, wording, etc.
My wife would die for that marbled pic. (wonderful job, by the way). My wife does daycare at home and one of the kids she watched for 4 yrs, her mom is a digital designer for the local university. I am trying to get some help from her, but she just never has time. Especially now that schools back in and the sports are going crazy.
I am down to just about begging for HELP. I want my sites to look as good as my dogs do and i'm disgusted with the turnout of the images. As you can tell, this is driving me nuts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 AM

I don't have fireworks... I WANT IT THOUGH - along with EyeCandy and lots of other stuff (I'm worse than a kid in a candy store when it comes to computer software/hardware)! All I have is CS3 3600 V.10 Extended. My brushes actually are locked up. Don't know what happened. Like I said, i am very newbie. Only been doing this for about 5 months. I am going to check from another reply about my RGB (256 colors) from the load to save part of the process.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials