RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Good images gone BAD!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:01 AM

Good images gone BAD!

Hello everyone, I am a newbie to CS3, but working hard to learn the capabilities. I have images that I have made on to a transparent background made into ovals, circles, elipses, rounded edges with the select/modify/soften. I commence to the FX for drop shadow and bevel/emboss, get the look that I want...
...then it all falls apart. I save for web and devices (for my websites) as a .gif and the image looks horrible. Jagged edges, drop shadow isn't "3D-ish" anymore, bevel is a mess. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 12:58 PM

Re: Good images gone BAD!

have you tried saving as a jpeg instead? what level of quality are you saving the image out?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I have tried everything that I can think of. When I save as a gif, it looks as though it was a jpg, jpeg. Besides, I can't use as a jpeg becuase of transparency. I'm trying to get some help from a digital designer for the local University to help me. She doesn't seem to have much time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Save as PNG.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 02:44 PM

Hi Swampy - I have tried that. The resource for my website does not support .png only gif, jpg, jpeg. I know, it's stinks. I may try to save as png and just see if that will help, but it won't do me any good unless the site supported it. BTW, it's through Homestead. thanks for the reply!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 PM

It might help if you posted a sample.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM

hi,
I am novice but maybe i can help....
now it would have been if you posted the image to see for sure...

first of all have you tried using png? most newer browsers will accept png with a transparent background....

now as far as gif... my expereiences...
1. first remember max is 256 colors....
2. now with my cs which i assume is similar to cs3 in this respect..... the initial windows only shows 128 colors.. but there a little drop window where you can change to 256 colors... this is important because if you have more 256 colors , they are going to get dithered...! and it can look bad... the very least make sure your saving in 256 ....
3. when i first start using ps in doing my gifs... I ran into a problem where even though i am only use 20 or 30 colors... but it was bad when i saved...
what i found was if i experimented with the pallet and which type of dithering i was able to get the results i want.. right for most of gif using local pallet and difusion works well .. but once in awhile i do have change those... untill i get what i want...

4. the shadows... i am not sure what your referring to.... would i be correct in saying your referring to fading/translucency ! where it simi transparent against a transparent background? you can do this per say with gif.... ( that another good reason to use png)
here a little tutoral to make transparent gif
http://mysite.verizon.net/hannigan7/lucyinthesky.html

well i hope i was of some help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsteelercity View Post
Hello everyone, I am a newbie to CS3, but working hard to learn the capabilities. I have images that I have made on to a transparent background made into ovals, circles, elipses, rounded edges with the select/modify/soften. I commence to the FX for drop shadow and bevel/emboss, get the look that I want...
...then it all falls apart. I save for web and devices (for my websites) as a .gif and the image looks horrible. Jagged edges, drop shadow isn't "3D-ish" anymore, bevel is a mess. What am I doing wrong?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 PM

>>>>>>The resource for my website does not support .png only gif, jpg, jpeg.

What does "resource" mean? Your web browser?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2008, 09:13 PM

How to get rid of the "halo" and "jaggies" w/ transparent gifs (Photoshop).

Sometimes you can convert the gif file that you have to RGB color Click Image>Mode>RGB then size the image down, using Image>Image Size. Photoshop will automatically anti-alias all the edges for you.

You can also draw the smudge tool, set to about 50% pressure in the Options bar, across the offensively jaggy edge.

For Text... in the type options bar you'll see several options in the dropdown box marked AA: none, sharp, crisp, strong. Select anything but None and your type will be anti-aliased.

Always work in high color (RGB), then after you have the image looking like you want it... reduce to 256 colors using Image>Mode>Indexed Color then "Save for Web" as GIF.

Have you tried adjusting the matte setting?

Choosing a matte color (image background color) similar to your page's background color, then specify that color as transparent.in Save For Web might help solve the problem.

1. Make sure you have your image on its own layer with no background.

2. File>Save for web

3. Make your setting gif and use the smallest amount of colors you can without affecting the appearance of the image.
a. Make sure Transparency is selected.

b. Set the Matte color to the closest match of the background color you will be placing the image on. If you are unsure then set the Matte to "None". Click ok and save your image.

3. Matte puts a thin outline around the image to get rid of halos. Setting matte to none should get rid of the halo but might still leave the image a bit jaggy around the edges.

4. If your image will be on a dark background use either a black matte or a matte that is near the color of the background to get rid of the jaggies.

Hope this helps some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 AM

To check out what the images are doing you can see from one of my websites: www.colebrookgoldens.com
You will see how "jaggy" the edges are and the bevel/emboss doesn't look very well. I didn't even keep the drop shadow on just for the reason it was aweful.
Thanks for everyones input. I will try this at home this weekend and see what the outcome is and will post back with the results.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials