RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Basic Image Correction with Frequency Separation

Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM

Re: Basic Image Correction with Frequency Separati

Hi Flora,

yes, keeping the instructions clear is really important in order not to lose anyone and not only teach them, but teach them, how to do it right .
I'm glad my video helped you ! I don't have any videos on the asymmetric frequency separation yet as I rarely if ever use it (which is also why I just recently noticed that the method in the video will not work as designed for highly saturated colors), though there are some cases where it may definitely come in handy.
Of course you can always knock on my door, write PMs, E-Mails or whatever works best for you if you need any help
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 PM

Some ideas to play with for those that want more exercise with frequency seperation.

- Once you understand the process, you can certaintly seperate into more than two frequencies. I have been known to do high, medium, and low frequencies quite often. The most I have done is five, but that's a bit overkill IMHO.

- You don't have to use Gauss. You can use Lens Blur for gradual frequency changes within a given frequency layer. If you have a lot of horizontal and vertical lines, say buildings with windows, try Box Blur. I have had some images where Median was the best choice for seperation.

- For even more fun, seperate graduated frequencies using Lens Blur into high, medium, and low.

Just ideas for those that want to explore.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM

@ Der_W

Thank You!!!

@ Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker View Post
Some ideas to play with for those that want more exercise with frequency seperation.

- Once you understand the process, you can certaintly seperate into more than two frequencies. I have been known to do high, medium, and low frequencies quite often. The most I have done is five, but that's a bit overkill IMHO.

- You don't have to use Gauss. You can use Lens Blur for gradual frequency changes within a given frequency layer. If you have a lot of horizontal and vertical lines, say buildings with windows, try Box Blur. I have had some images where Median was the best choice for seperation.

- For even more fun, seperate graduated frequencies using Lens Blur into high, medium, and low.

Just ideas for those that want to explore.
Thank you so much for your tips!!!

Gosh ... this is addictive!!

I know my brain will go on strike ... but I'd love to know how to create a 'Medium Frequency' ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post

I know my brain will go on strike ... but I'd love to know how to create a 'Medium Frequency' ....
Very nice tutorial Flora.
Here is another action that I use with a band stop.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Frequency Separations.zip (2.2 KB, 51 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2012, 12:52 AM

Hi chillin!

Thank you for your feedback and kindness!!

Just downloaded your action and I'm going to 'experiment' with it ... Just hope that the 'band stop' isn't a lethal weapon ....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2012, 05:01 AM

I'm guessing what Stroker is referring to when he talks about medium frequencies is further splitting the low frequency into even lower frequency (which will be the new low) and the low's high frequency (aka medium frequency).
Experimenting with different blurs is also quite interesting. But don't limit yourself to blurring filters only, since the technique itself is basically not limited to frequency separation, but just finding the difference between two layers and adding it back together, you can also use sharpen filters, artistic filters or even cloud filters. Your fantasy is the limit
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2013, 03:25 PM

I have been using this technique off and on for a while. I'm not convinced it's "all that" when it comes to retouching and I think that basically the spot healing brush, dodge & burn and the clone stamp used on a new layer are still the goto techniques though obviously they can be combined with freq separation. I think freq separation's real power is in color correcting images because you can paint underneath the high freq layer to make color corrections to the image.

IMO however, the technique is flawed in that the current techniques for splitting the layers into high and low cannot discern true texture from luminance. What this means is that you will get shadows up on your high freq layer which are not true skin flaws or texture. Then, if you want to retouch or color correct those areas, you need to do additional work.

Not saying it's not a useful technique but that it's often seen as a panacea of retouching but in reality it's just another tool that can be useful but is not the one-size-fits-all methodology.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2014, 03:59 AM

Is the frequency separation another way of doing the retouching in photoshop or its just as the normal retouching technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2016, 04:37 AM

Great tutorial thanks for sharing...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials