RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Tutorial ideas

Old 01-06-2004, 11:13 AM

Vegard,

The photos in the particular post you link to have the problem that they are taken under very different lighting conditions and also that the second (blurred in Photoshop) photo hasn't had the blurring and masking applied very well - there are definite fringes around the figures and the fall-off isn't very gradual. And if you read the comments in the post where the originator of the photos actually posted them, it's clear that he didn't do the Photoshopping following the technique in the tutorial at the head of the thread (with a gradual falloff of focus) but rather a few years earlier in a "similar" manner.

The example image in the tutorial itself is a far better example of a reasonably good use of Photoshop for DOF.

I guess to explore this area effectively (and I agree it's worth exploring... hmm, might make a good challenge) we'd need to start with two SLR images of the same subject with the same framing under the same lighting conditions, but with one photo taken with a pretty wide aperture and one taken with the aperture closed right down for maximum DOF. Then explore techniques for making the maximum-DOF photo look like the minimum-DOF photo. That way there's a standard for seeing what "real" optical blur looks like in the context of a particular image.

If you've got images that fit these criteria then it would be good to see them. Otherwise maybe someone else can oblige? I'm stuck in work during daylight hours myself so it would be a while before I can get out and take some photos specifically for this purpose.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Yes I agree, the second (Photoshop DOF) example wasn't very well executed, but I think my point about "one big Gauss fog" is still valid.

For the second part, I agree fully. That was exactly the way I imagined such a tutorial or challenge or whatever would have to be carried out.

Listen, I'm going on a company trip to Lisbon for the weekend. One of my colleagues has a 10D (affectionately called The Instamatic ) I can try to take those test shots with the 10D during the weekend. My own SLR is analogue, and has been collecting dust for nearly three years...

Yes, called him in the car. He'll take it. I'll hopefully be able to supply some 6Mpix samples on Tuesday!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-22-2004, 01:34 AM

This is sooooooo embarrassing!

I forgot to shoot those photos in Lisbon!
But I'm working on a tutorial, based on another photo I took in Lisbon. As soon as the Tutorial Publishing System is up and running again, I'll publish it. Quite a lot of work, writing a tutorial!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM

Wish for a tutorial from Doug

I was looking at your other web site and saw the awesome job you did on the blurry image.

Could we get a tutorial on that or is it a trade secret

Or did I just miss it somewhere

Thanks,

Juliana
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
I was looking at your other web site and saw the awesome job you did on the blurry image.

Could we get a tutorial on that or is it a trade secret

Or did I just miss it somewhere
Are you ... uh ... talking to ME???

Seriously, I am not sure what you're referring to here. My post above is one year old. After I posted it I have learned that Photoshop CS has a new lens blur filter that does what I am asking for, a blur different from Gauss.

No trade secrets, but could you be more specific?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexx
Are you ... uh ... talking to ME???
I think she's talking to Doug (subject line on post is "Wish for a tutorial from Doug"). I hope he'll know which image it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2005, 01:19 PM

yes it was for Doug...

sorry for the confusion

(goes for another cup of joe...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2005, 03:12 AM

Hi
a tuturial about how to make an imange look high-key while still maintaining true black and colors. A highkey effeckt can be made by using the channelmixer to overexpose the image in monocrome, but i would like to know a better way

/Lasse
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Janitor

Juliana:

No trade secrets here. Just plain ole boring High Pass sharpening.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
I'll start us off:

I've always thought it would be a good idea to have several different step-by-step restorations. something like:

Starting image
First step (screencap)
Second step (screencap)
Third step (screencap)
Last step (screencap)
Side by side/before and after images.

We have lots of finished jobs, several of which have excellent descriptions, but I think this would clarify things a lot for many people.
Now I've been on this forum for?? a long time watching all these restores and I hope someone will help along the lines of Doug's Suggestion.

I have read all this and watched, its taught me a lot but not how to put it together?

When you start with an old image do you scan it first, would this be done in two runs each 90 degrees from the other? Then overlay rotate flatten? Is this the time to use Roland's FFT Tutorial, So now do I capture sharpen....

I have Eismann's book and it tells plenty except how to sequence all the things you all know how to do. So please now that I've been given some really hard work by a friend I'd like to see if all the steps you've taught me here can go together.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials