RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Using the Art History Brush

Old 04-25-2003, 02:48 PM

Artmaker:

Welcome back to RetouchPRO -- and to the Photo-art forum in particular. Looks like it's been a while since you posted a message in the forums.

What version of Photoshop are you running?

~DannyR~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2003, 03:03 PM

Hi Danny R,
Yes it's been awhile. Actually I teach photoshop classes. Haven't needed this great board in a long time. But... I have never played with the art history brush and my students always ask what it's for. High time I learned ah?

I have photoshop 7. I thought I read this was a version 7 tutorial correct??? I dont' see where those brush settings are coming from. I can play with the brush but all it seems to do is blur the picture. Phoey. There has to be more to it than that. And there are TWO brushes in the brush history tool box. Which is for what?

I wish my "help" was still installed. I'm using the college computer right now and its been removed. All my books are for previous versions. No help there.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll keep watching my e-mail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2003, 04:11 PM

The brush settings are here... (assuming a C:\ installation).

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop 7.0\Presets\Brushes\xxx.abr

Should be 11 brush sets in this and the "Phothshop Only" subfolder therein.

- - - - - -

Assuming your brushes palette is docked in the palette well (top R of screen), click the Brushes tab (tab highights and a triangle displays next to it). Click the triangle to open the menu. The brush sets contained in the folder above should be listed at the bottom of the menu.

If they are not listed, the brush sets were removed, not installed or installed in the "wrong" place.

Does any of this buy you anything?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2003, 06:22 PM

Hi again,

OK, mac user here. There is NO C drive. But I do know where presets are.

On a mac you get to them through photoshop. Up in the dock, in the toolpreset button, then in the arrow, top right, scroll down to the "load presets" thing. And your right, the folder they should be in is empty. College computer again. Don't need any stinking presets. ha!

Now when I get home I'll check my computer but it's possible those were deleted too. (memory issue.)

I suppose you have to have these presets just to see what the tool does? There are a ton of assorted brush shapes one can do without and still use the paintbrush. Could this be similar? Again, it DID do something. Not a very attractive something. Just blur mostly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2003, 09:54 AM

Artmaker, you should also be able to open the brushes palette through the PS menu item: Window>Brushes. Do you have that menu item?

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2003, 06:42 PM

By golly, I sure do! Wow I could play with that for several hours huh?

I still am not sure just what this history brush does. Guessing here, same effects as the layer effects only applied by brush?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2003, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by artmaker
By golly, I sure do! Wow I could play with that for several hours huh?

I still am not sure just what this history brush does. Guessing here, same effects as the layer effects only applied by brush?

Thanks
Try making the brush size smaller, either by sliding the slider or hitting the "[" (left square bracket thingy!) until your brush size is managable. It helps (me, at least) to set your preferences for "Display and Cursor" to "brush size". That way you can see the little circle that will represent your actual brush size. Hope this helps!

(another mac user! yay!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2003, 10:17 AM

Hi again and yea! hi "another mac user."

History brush. Yuck! I cannot find a single practical use for this thing. I've played around with brush sizes, and texture, and a few other settings. All it does is ruin the picture. I'd like to see some images where this tool has been effectively used some way. Layer effects and filters all seem to do exactly the same thing and are easier to use.

Also, there are two history brush tools. "hisotry brush, and history brush tool."

So confused.

So far, when I teach my beginner class I get to this tool and just tell them I've never found a use for it. Nothing has changed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2003, 02:13 PM

Oh, you want a "practical" application! (LOL) One might be the selective color restoration to a color image converted to BW I mentioned in e-mail. There are other ways to achieve that result, too.

To be sure there's no misunderstanding, PS has two tools with similar names: History Brush and Art History Brush, the tool used in this tutorial.

Both operate on the same principle (taking source pixels from the selected history state), but the results generated by each is different.

Let me suggest you start a new thread in

THIS FORUM.

Please don't misunderstand. I'm pointing you in this direction so more members will see your question.

If I recall I saw a Scott Kelby technique for quick dust and scratch removal that used the History Brush. If I can find the details and it in fact uses the HB, I'll post it.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2005, 07:30 AM

well...

I didn't use the tutorial, but I've been attempting to put the Art History Brush to good use. And since the only Creative Interpretation of the pic I used is supposed to be black and white, I'll post here.
so, there it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pamela_big.jpg (98.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Pamela_big_shoulder.jpg (97.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Pamela_big_face.jpg (98.7 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials