RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Using the Art History Brush

Old 02-09-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikster
I didn't use the tutorial, but I've been attempting to put the Art History Brush to good use. And since the only Creative Interpretation of the pic I used is supposed to be black and white, I'll post here.
so, there it is.
re: B&W
A desaturated version would have been fine.

I have fought with AHB forever and have never got anything this good.

What brushes and settings combinations are you using to get these types of results? Really like this technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2005, 09:04 AM

thank you, Danny!

As always, your kind words lighten my day.

Let me see. I upped the resolution to 300 ppi.
I used Jaykita's (I think I saw her write that) method of using low opacity guide layer above white. The brushes....
the 1st layer's broad strokes were with "Rough Round Bristle". Mode set to Darken, Area set to 28pix, Tolerance set to 25%, style to Dab.
2nd layer's detail was with "watercolor small round tip" I think. with the same settings.
the guide layer I ran through Imp: Your(Danny's): Chalk Sketch: Long Strokes on K, Faded to 35%.
Then ran Impanny's (Your): Paint: Liinear Brush D. Faded to 45% or so.
The rest you can see from the pallette. Except I selected the white from AHB1 and deleted it, and deleted that same selection from the guide layer as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palette.jpg (68.2 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:

I used Jaykita's (I think I saw her write that) method of using low opacity guide layer above white. The brushes....
the 1st layer's broad strokes were with "Rough Round Bristle". Mode set to Darken, Area set to 28pix, Tolerance set to 25%, style to Dab.
2nd layer's detail was with "watercolor small round tip" I think. with the same settings.
the guide layer I ran through Imp: Your(Danny's): Chalk Sketch: Long Strokes on K, Faded to 35%.
The rest you can see from the pallette. Except I selected the white from AHB1 and deleted it, and deleted that same selection from the guide layer as well.
Ah... this helps a lot. For the life of me I couldn't fathom how AHB could have been used to get such spectacular results. Our good friend "impressionst" to the rescue!

The downside: Now I have a compelling (to me) reason to goof-off today instead of doing something useful around the house.

THANK YOU for that!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2005, 01:10 AM

Quote:

Thank you Glikster! HURRAH!!!!!!!!!! Someone seems to have got something worthwhile out of my Art-history-Brush tutorial, Page 1 in THIS THREAD.
Danny, what do you feel, do u think it's worth a mention in your tutorial section? Just asking
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2005, 04:08 AM

I adapted jaykita's "tutorial" a little, learned some stuff from Janet, and suddenly things clicked...
1) Duplicate background and run High-Pass filter, radius 2. Choose blending "Overlay" and opacity at 20%.
2) Between these put in a solid color layer for your paper - not white. I used pastel green, that way I was sure what was painted and what wasn't. You now have an outline drawing.
3) Put in an empty layer between the "overlay" and the "paper".

Now you have an outline drawing and you just have to colour inside the lines.
Aargh, inside the lines - did I say that!

alternative: step 1) Find edges 2) use white.

Here's my first real effort. Did two painted layers and then aniso'd the outline layer and left it there.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg desiree2-AHB.jpg (96.6 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
I adapted jaykita's "tutorial" a little, learned some stuff from Janet, and suddenly things clicked...
1) Duplicate background and run High-Pass filter, radius 2. Choose blending "Overlay" and opacity at 20%.
2) Between these put in a solid color layer for your paper - not white. I used pastel green, that way I was sure what was painted and what wasn't. You now have an outline drawing.
3) Put in an empty layer between the "overlay" and the "paper".

Now you have an outline drawing and you just have to colour inside the lines.
Aargh, inside the lines - did I say that!

alternative: step 1) Find edges 2) use white.

Here's my first real effort. Did two painted layers and then aniso'd the outline layer and left it there.

Well, well, well. It wasn't so difficult after all!! Good Fun, what? And a great job too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM

Now that was fun!

I don't think this is nearly as good as it could be, but I really enjoyed this technique. I'm looking forward to using this on challenges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rose.jpg (78.9 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:22 AM

Jude Law

Here's one I did using only Art History brushes and a canvas texture. AH was hard for me to get into in the beginning, but it has become my favorite PS tool.

Link to a larger res version
http://www.pbase.com/image/58291035
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jude-Law-rtp.jpg (94.6 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 10:38 AM

Cat, you've done it again. That's just plain (me searches in vain for suitably hyperbolic adjective)...

It passes my personal "does-this-look-like-a-real-painting-
or-does-it-look-like-a-photo-that-somebody's-been-mucking-
about-with" test with flying colors.

I bow to you, madam.

dc (who, inspired, is off to take another whack at the dreaded AHB)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
Here's one I did using only Art History brushes and a canvas texture. AH was hard for me to get into in the beginning, but it has become my favorite PS tool.

Link to a larger res version
http://www.pbase.com/image/58291035
Inspiring work, as DC noted. Well done, Cat.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials