RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

MaskPlus

Old 04-25-2003, 12:45 AM

Smile

Glad you found this tutorial useful.
Most things are less complicated than they first appear but passing on a new concept, now that's complicated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2003, 05:10 AM
Janitor

Post MaskPlus

Whether you use the Magic Wand, the Pen tool or Quick Mask, making selections (and creating masks) is relatively simple and one of the first steps in photo retouching. [details]
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2004, 12:40 AM

Thank you guys

This is my first attempt at posting. Also very new to Photoshop but I just wanted to comment on the Santa tutorial. Even I could follow it. I had trouble understanding how to add and subtract selections bu D J Dubousky's explanation should now allow me to complete what I started. Thanks to both of you. Since its almost 2:00AM I'll come back to this in the morning. Just great being retired.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 02:05 PM

Unhappy Using a pen tool on this tutorial

This is an old tutorial so I hope that people will get a chance to read my question. It's a great tutorial and easy to follow. The only question that I have is how do you do it with the pen tool. Using the lasso you can add to the selection, save it and add to it again until the entire image is completed. I just don't see how this is done with the pen tool. I posted this question in another forum but the question was not really answered.

Thanks for the tutorial.I'm looking forward to finding out how this can be done using the pen tool.

George
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Hi Albatrosss,
I'm glad I was helpful in clarifying things for you. Lets see if I can do it again.

For me the pen tool is the most comfortable way to work. It is hard to be precise with the lasso tool but if you prefere that method what I would do is to use it as closely as I could not worrying about small selection mistakes. Then by clicking on quick mask mode I can use a small brush to refine the mistakes a bit. Personally, I use the quick mask mode instead of the lasso tool if I need precision and just hand paint most of my selections. By clicking on it, you should see your preloaded mask that you want to add to then all you have to do it paint in the next bit and click out of quick mask mode and save that new selection. I hope that helps.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 11:00 PM

More on ChOps from the man himself: Kai's Power Tips.
Can be a bit hard to read because it was written back in the day.
But still lot's of good stuff about ChOps and various other things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2005, 11:35 PM

Thank you for your timely response.

I now use the lasso tool as well as other selection methods and then use Quick Mask to fine tune the selection. The author of the tutorial indicated that he uses the pen tool since it is more precise. I would agree since I also use the pen tool whenever I can. It seems that the author of that tutorial is the only one able to use the pen tool as described in the tutorial. I have posted this questions on a number of forums and no one is able to give me what I am looking for.

I would like to thank you for your time and effort. It is greatly appreciated. Now when I hand paint an image I will be assured that even though the pen tool yields the best selection it seems to be impossible to use it as described in that tutorial
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2005, 08:51 AM

Last night I decided to try and do what I wanted by trial and error. In about 20 minutes I got the result that I wanted. I won't bore you with the details but I was pleased to see that what I wanted to do was possible.

Thanks again for your interest. Appreciated.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials