RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

MaskPlus

Old 12-14-2001, 02:53 AM
Janitor

MaskPlus Tutorial

View here

Last edited by Doug Nelson; 07-24-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 02:09 PM

Great tutorial Ron. I thought I would add some key strokes to help clarify the "add and subtract" features. Any alpha channels can be added or subtracted to and from a selection or each other buy making the channels palette active load one of your saved masks by holding the control or command key and clicking on the alpha channel you want to start with, then by holding down the control/shift or command/shift and click on the alpha channel mask in the channels palette you want to add to your selection. Also if you want to subtract you hold down the control/alt or command/option key and click on the alpha channel you want to subtract from your selection.

A good way to play around with this to better see the relationships between your masks is to create and save 3 seperate alpha channels of different shapes and load one of them. Then using the control /shift or control /alt (command /shift or command /option) and clicking on the other alpha mask channels, watch what interaction happens between the selections. Go into quick mask mode to see a more clear picture of what is happening. Remember that inversing a mask will change that relationship also and can get confusing so it's good to play around with it until you understand it so doing masking in the future will be greatly simplified.

Ron's tutorial actually sets up a process of selections that makes it easy to plan and follow through. If you understand this then as Ron said in his tutorial, you will have clean lines between your selections even when those lines are feathered.

Thanks Ron for a fantastic tutorial.
DJ

Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 01-01-2002 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 03:03 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Ron,

That looks like a great tutorial. It looks like it takes some guess work out of the procedure. Thank you very much. But it wasn't necessary to give me credit. Anything I put on the site is up for grabs. Gotta give thanks to Debbie too for expanding on it. Good stuff all around.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 09:35 PM

Smile

Thank for the input Debbie. I've been rebuilding my computer over the holidays and this is the first chance I've had to get to the site for a while.
Key commands in Photoshop are one of my weak areas and I'm only familiar with few of them. Your information about the key strokes for this tutorial will probably speed up mask manipulation considerably so I'll make a point to practice and learn them.

Ed, I tried a number of subjects for this tutorial but they were either too complicated or too simple. Your Santa was a natural, with just enough steps to demonstrate the technique. I thought by mentioning where I got the image others members, who haven't tried working on Santa yet, might benefit from my tutorial.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 01:32 PM

Great tutorial!!!
I'm just starting to colour pictures. this makes everything so much easier
Thanks
Dennis
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 04:26 PM

Dennis,
Welcome to Retouch Pro. Ron will be so glad you enjoyed his tutorial. Stick around, there's lots more where that came from.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 09:26 PM

Wink

I'm glad you found my tutorial helpful, Dennis. I'd also like to suggest a lot of practice with the "Pen Tool". Mastering this tool will make most of your work go faster and smoother.

Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2002, 09:34 PM

The next thing to do, once you have explored how the various selection options work...is to go behind the scenes and do this directly with the channels (which is where the selections come from to begin with).

This is where CHOPS or channel operations comes in, using Calculations or the Apply Image command with blend modes, opacity, inversions and masking off other channels with all of the above options.

There is a book on this titled 'Photoshop Channel CHOPs'.

More on CHOPs can be found in this link to more links, scroll down to the channel mixer/calculations/apply image links:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binar...V_links.html#C

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2002, 02:02 PM

Hi...
At first I didn't get or understand the tutorial...but after awhile of playing around and figuring some new stuff out, I was amazed by what can be done with alpha channels and loading, adding and subtracting channels.

Very neat. Thanks for the tutorial and for pointing it out again. It was a great educational experience. I love learning new things! I almost gave up though because I didn't understand how you made the selections and how you saved them as various channels and added and subtracted but with some time and patience I was able to figure it out!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2003, 07:33 AM

Great tutorial! It sounded complicated at first, but it was easy to follow. Thanks

Sharon
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials