RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Using the Photoshop 7.0 Pen Tool is a snap

Old 06-30-2002, 03:26 PM

Shifty alternative control freaks :)

Mike,

I have to disagree. The control of the pen tool is solely in the hands of the person using it. The modifier keys are solely for fine tuning(save the the alt-key). I just threw this jpg together as an example w/ the red circles signifiying where I used the alt-key and then it was simply a click to change the button behaviour. Now careful how you reply Mike cuz Vinny Starguy may look cute but he's got a baaaad temper .

LOL.

Cheers,
Etienne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vinnystarguy.jpg (29.4 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2002, 11:25 PM

Smile

Designing a NEW Starman with Pen tool

Start with new document 500 pixels x 500 pixels @ 72 ppi and set the grid pattern to 50 pixels and 5 subdivisions. (see attachment to follow along)

(Obj1) From the central location construct a five sided Pentagram using Shift and Alt constraints. Next construct a Circle from the center using Shift and Alt constraints. These objects will be used to guide the construction of the Starman.

Step1 Now using the Pen tool enter points at each juncture of the pentagram at A, B, C, D, and E. This will complete the path around the Pentagram.

Step2 Add an Anchor point between "A" and "B" at "F", then, depressing the Ctrl key, move point "F" out to the circular rim (see Obj2). Now add anchor points between "B" and "C" and use Ctrl to move that point out to the rim. Keep doing this until all arms of the star are completed. Now you can delete the pentagram and Circle objects.

Step3 Right click on the path and choose "Stroke Subpath with a 4 pixel pencil tool. Now add points at "G" and "H". After adding a point between "G" and "H" at "I" use the Ctrl key to move "I" upwards. Next complete the path "H" "G" by clicking on "G". Then add a point between "H" and "G" at "J" and use the Ctrl key to move "J" downwards. Finally use the Ctrl Key to move "I" and "J" until a great smile is showing and select "Stroke Subpath" with the pencil tool. (see Obj3)

Step4 Making the eyes uses the same technique as the smile. Now select the "Star" and use "Fill Subpath" to color the star yellow. Next select the smile and eyes and use "Fill Subpath" to color them white.

By using the control handles at the tips of the star arms you can adjust the sharpness of the arms. The key to total control is the use of the Ctrl key. Once this key is depressed you can keep making any adjustments you need to perfect your image or selection.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newstarman.jpg (99.1 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2002, 11:45 PM

Very Nice!

I've been experimenting recently with ways of using the grids and other shapes to assure accuracy. Looking at your setup I'm sure than just a star can be made... no added segments. I'll see what I can come up with and post em.

Cheers,
Etienne

P.S. Seems there is more than on way to skin a cat
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 12:35 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
There's one thing that I would like to reply to. Since I never used the pen tool, I thought I'd follow Ron's tut. I'm using Photoshop 7. Step #5 states that by holding down the Ctrl key you can adjust the control handles to make the curve fit. I find that when holding down the Ctrl key, moving one handle moves the other in the opposite direction. But if I hold down the Alt key, I'm able to adjust each handle independently. Since I figured that out, I find that using the pen tool greatly increases my accuracy, and is faster than using the lasso tool. This has been a great tutorial, and excellent feedback, which I haven't had the chance to play with yet. Many thanks to all.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 06:47 PM

I gotta say it again - THANK YOU!

Since reading this tut, the pen tool has become my very favorite selection tool instead of one of my most hated enemies.

I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-19-2002, 10:06 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks for the tip Ed; I can see where using the "Alt" key in that way could come in handy for more precise control.

And like Jakaleena, most people who practice a bit will soon find the 'Pen' tool becoming their favorite selection tool.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials