RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

The Stepwedge and why to use it

Old 11-20-2003, 12:04 AM

Stepwedge use

Thanks Doug.

You were right: I was not using adjustment layers. Somehow, in all my reading, I missed them.

Well, another step forward. Sure appreciate your help.

Thanks, Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2004, 05:08 AM

Stepwedge activities

Interesting material on using the stepwedge for an image already taken. While I use stepwedges often, I never considered adding one to an existing image during retouching et al.

Would it not be even better to include a stepwedge in an image during the taking of that image? It seems that a greater capability would then be available to evaluate exposure, color balance, etc..

I've been trying to locate a utility which would run a PS action or script on an 10 step wedge in an image which included a 10 step wedge during the taking. At each step, the RGB components of the step would be analyzed, and adjusted via Photoshop curves to get the proper levels and color balance. This would in essence create an instantaneous "profile" for that image, based on the wedge's density and RGB components.

Of course, the user must have a professionally created hard copy of the wedge to include in the image, when taken.

I read an article by Taz Tally in Photoshop User that was in this realm, But after endless tries to get more info and contact Taz, I gave up trying.

It does seem to me that the package of a hard copy wedge, and a script/action for Photoshop to do this would be a very worthwhile item.

Ron Hirsch
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2004, 02:06 PM

Great! The step wedge can also be used to demonstrate that your edits to an image are completely safe.... er.. thats if a photog happens to be standing over your shoulder doubting your capabilities... not that that's happened to me r anything.. jusss sayin yknow

great tutorial and good idea Ron, hope to read a follow up on that one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM

Re: The Stepwedge and why to use it

I'm a very new member. Read thru tutorial and some of discussion but still need help. Question: To drag step wedge onto image, do you create a canvas? (If so, what is the background color?) Or a "new layer" on which step wedge is placed? Doesn't step wedge have to appear on screen in order to serve the purposes you describe?
Thanks greatly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Janitor

If an image is open in your editor, there is already a canvas (you can't have an image that's not on a canvas). If you drag or paste the stepwedge into another image, it should automatically create a new layer. And yes, you must be able to see it to use it (but since it's on its own layer you can drag it around and toggle its visibility off when you don't need it).

Welcome, and hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Thanks greatly for your response. I just discovered this superb site -- great resource.

margery
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2007, 04:54 PM

I've found a step wedge helpful for diagnosing and compensating for BW and color "differences" between prints from my online print svc of choice (www.Mpix.com) and soft copy proofs that come off my HP 8450 printer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM

Stepwedge action - to illustrate blend mode and adjustment layer concepts

Doug:

Your tutorial (and my laziness ) inspired me to write a Photoshop action to create the stepwedge and extra layers for experimenting. This exercise helped me connect many dots regarding blend mode and adjustment layer concepts.

Thanks for your efforts -- and to Stephen for his enlightening technical commentary.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RetouchPRO Stepwedge Action.zip (1.8 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials