RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Non-publishing excuses

View Poll Results: Why haven't you published a tutorial yet?
I didn't know we could 16 11.94%
I never learned to share 7 5.22%
I'm afraid my ignorance would finally be exposed 65 48.51%
it to difikult 9 6.72%
It's on my to-do list, honest...any day now...really 37 27.61%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2003, 08:58 AM

Not exactly, but thanks for the link, hadn't seen it.

No, a list of topics and things of interest that one might go to and find something that would moviate them to search out the info and then attempt to tutorize it......
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 AM
Janitor

It was a bit sparse, so I added some.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Janitor

Even though the fraidycats are still ahead of the procrastinators, we're getting some excellent new tutorials posted (which is the important part).

So, where's YOUR'S?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2003, 01:26 PM

Tutorial posting

Hi,
Haven't been on here for a while what with relocation and what have you but it's a great section of the site. I'd be happy to share what I can and promise to look at the publishing format. I see that previously, individuals would share the steps they took to achieve results with an image but this is another excellent adjunct to that. I'm also cognizant that there are many, many excellent artists on this site so tutorials will not be relevant to all levels of expertise but what the heck, I'd love the experience of writing a tutorial anyway. Here's looking forward to a positive learning experience!
...Pierre...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Janitor

We look forward to your tutorials, Pierre.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2004, 10:51 PM

I see that the tutorials show a copyright tag. Most of my information comes from researching the web or reading books. My question is if you find a good technique on the web or from a book or refine one and create a tutorial with photos and such, is there a way to credit that source or at least not claim it as your own. Basically I might have some good techniques to share, but they are far from my own.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 02:54 AM

The way copyright works you can't copyright a particular idea (like a technique for using Photoshop), just a particular form of words or an image. So as long as you are writing the instructions yourself it's OK for the tutorial to be copyrighted to you.

But of course it's good manners to mention where you got the idea from. I've generally put this either in the summary blurb or explained at greater length in the tutorial proper.

If there is already an online tutorial that explains the technique in great detail with clear step by step illustrations then probably there's not much to be gained by your rewriting it, but where the information isn't available online or isn't explained as clearly as it might be then writing it up as a better tutorial is a Good Thing, so long as you credit the "original" begetter of the idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2004, 08:36 AM

Thanks Leah! I have found several good techniques on the web, but many times they are just text and could be improved with example photos and a little more explaination. Other times I combine several techniques together to create one solid tutorial. And then there are those fine tutorials that are clear, concise with photos and all and I just print them out and add them to my file.

~T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2004, 07:31 PM

maybe a better interface would solve the problem

I must admit I'm mystified over the total lack of interest in publishing tutorials via our new system.

Well, since the "new" system makes it impossible for this user to find the elusive publish button, maybe you should redesign the system so that actually publishing a tutorial doesn't involve a search for a holy grail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2004, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnew
Well, since the "new" system makes it impossible for this user to find the elusive publish button, maybe you should redesign the system so that actually publishing a tutorial doesn't involve a search for a holy grail.
You're not by any chance using Opera 6, are you? While testing, I found that Opera hides the menu with the Publish button. No other browsers I tried (I tried quite a few, ask Doug! ) showed this behaviour.

Finding the Publish button is easy. Click RetouchPro in the toolbar near the top of this page. "Tutorials" is No 4 from the bottom. This brings you to the Tutorials home page. At the left is a fly-out menu (that Opera 6 hides). No 2 from the bottom is Publish. Not difficult.

Perhaps you are confused by this Forum being called Tutorials? This is the place where tutorials are discussed, but you will notice that the tutorial itelf is accessed via a link, and opens in a separate window.

You may also be under the misconception that Doug Nelson programmed this forum software. He didn't. If you have a look at the bottom of the window it clearly states

"Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2004, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd."
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials