RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Non-publishing excuses

View Poll Results: Why haven't you published a tutorial yet?
I didn't know we could 16 11.94%
I never learned to share 7 5.22%
I'm afraid my ignorance would finally be exposed 65 48.51%
it to difikult 9 6.72%
It's on my to-do list, honest...any day now...really 37 27.61%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2004, 12:45 AM

I wrote a tutorial on 'Blend-If' in Photoshop recently, of which I am still learning to understand. This experience has got me to thinking - I really appreciate everyones support of my learning and of the process of learning, so ...

I would like to take this opportunity to get on a soapbox ...

To anyone who feels they need to know it all cold to do a tutorial - You don't - we are all learning - in fact those that are newer can have an easier time thinking outside that old box.

This site not only teaches techniques, it also teaches by example thought processes for tackling problems and ways of testing ideas to figure things out, the confidence to think it through - which I think is even more valuable than the techniques. And then the bonus, we get to help each other while doing something we enjoy. Anyway, to anyone shy about this - the more you teach - the more you learn. There is always someone who can benifit from hearing it the way you have of saying it.

Thanks for listening,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 01:12 AM

Thanks, Roger!

A good opportunity to excuse myself

I've seen several (junior) members with 2-4 posts. They needed help with one specific problem and then disappeared. I know I haven't posted for weks. The reason is I'm on a search for The Holy Grail, trying to write a Photoshop action (actually a script) for noise reduction. Yes I know there's Noise Ninja, but I'm on a Mac and besides it's incredibly fun. I've learnt so much about Photoshop you wouldn't know!

Hmmm, maybe I have a new tutorial coming up...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Janitor

Like I always say (well, not always, but I have been saying it for some time, just not continually), if you really want to understand something teach it to someone else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 09:35 PM

Hey Rexx,

Don't feel guilty - follow the fun. I am sure you will find moments when that fun inspires you to write that tutorial - whenever the time is right. The folks that pass through are following their fun, wherever they are, it's all ok.

.?. A script for reducing noise .?. and you have been learning more than we would believe .?. do you mind if we beg for more info .?. from time to time .?. (spoken tentatively with a twinkle in the eye)

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 11:07 PM

The Photoshop demi-gods

Well, something I've learnt that cannot be taught in a tutorial is that I stand in awe before the people who have designed Photoshop. Being a somewhat accomplished software architect (and programmer) myself I am at loss of words when it comes to my admiration for these ... dare I say? ... colleagues.

I will not go into detail about the processes we go through in my profession (I've seen from profiles and postings that there are quite a few of you out there who know what I'm talking about - hi! ), but let me concentrate on three issues only. Conceptual model, flexibility and complexity.

When creating a software system we first need to understand what we are trying to achieve. In this case, what is image manipulation and processing all about. The Adobe "thinkers" have reached such an understanding of this it almost reminds me of meditation gurus or something. The underlying mechanisms of Photoshop are so incredibly much deeper than Lasso and cut-and-paste.

Then we (us software people) always like to pride ourselves of the flexibility we have built into our product. I believe I need not elaborate on this one. There are always many ways leading to our goal in Photoshop, some identical, some slightly (but significantly) different.

It takes a Master - or sheer luck - or at least three attempts - (personal empirical research...) to avoid complexity at the same time as achieving flexibility. You may not know, but that's how it is. Photoshop is vast, but yet it is not complex. Once you have started to get a grasp on the conceptual model behind it, everything is really simple.

Compare to Microsoft Word - the current King of word processing and my favourite peeve. Up until 5.1 (I'm on a Mac; you PC people missed this one. You jumped from 2.0 to 6.0 to get in synch with the Mac version) Word was about efficient writing and was supported by a sound model of a text document and word processing. I know; I've modelled it. After that, the main idea seems to be to add more features. The underlying model is now long gone.

Flexibility? Not really. There are several ways to do things, but usually one works (if it works...) and the others break. And Word tries to outsmart me. Sorry Word - I'm still smarter, and I take offense.

Complexity? Why do I need a "helper" or "wizard" to get things done? Why do I have to go through four dialogues to do something that took one click or keystroke in 5.1? (And why does Word X run slower on my 1GHz processor than Word 4 did on my 16MHz?)

Ponder this, and then look at Photoshop again. I think you will agree with me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2004, 11:18 PM

Is this "cross-posting"? Sorry then.

In the discussion thread about the Blend-If tutorial Roger writes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
"There is another factor to this that has been rumbling around in the back of my mind - The goal is to be able to think in 'blend-if', zen ''blend-if' if you will
This is what I mean. This is understanding the conceptual model behind Photoshop. Now I know at least you understand what I mean, Roger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2004, 12:33 AM

Rexx,

Quote:
Rexx Wrote:
to avoid complexity at the same time as achieving flexibility
Amen, I agree 100%. I designed our business database program in Access (receivables, payables, contact manager - order tracking, payroll, etc. the whole ball of wax - now, I would purchase it, but when I started what I wanted wasn't available) - this balance of simple but flexible is the looks-easy-but-is-real-hard thing that I still struggle with. Fascinating - the perspective of a real programmer, Thanks.

And no, you don't have to worry about this being a cross-post - as long as you write that tutorial when it strikes your fancy ...

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 09:06 AM

Teaser

Just a small teaser for you, Roger

I can promise you and everybody else something you have never seen before. No little promise I know, but I feel confident this is actually true since I have it right in front of my eyes. Whether it is useful or not, now that's another question...

Tutorial in progressssss...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 09:53 AM

WOW Vegard,

I'm really, really curious now!!!

My 'information junkie' nature is wide awake now ....

Pleeeeeeeeaaase .... don't keep us waiting too long .....

Just kidding ..... but still ... looking forward to it!

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2004, 10:16 AM

Ha, got one fish!

Seriously, this is quite difficult. I have been working with one aspect of it for several days, getting nowhere. Finally had a breakthrough today. And -- I don't know if it useful for anyone, but it certainly is interesting! Hang on out there, I'll finish it, I promise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials