RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

The Awesome Power of Layer Masks

Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 AM

Great tutorial on a subject that everyone will use.

Thanks for the information....
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2004, 02:03 AM

Layer Masks for those without

Great Tutorial. May I add a thought for those who might not have Layer Masks (e.g. Photoshop Elements). For those users, the following can be used.

Copy and Blur Background as in tutorial, then click on Background and click Add New Layer to add an empty layer between Background and Background Copy. Now click on Background Copy to make it active, and click Layer-Group With Previous. The blurred Background Copy will now be totally masked. Click on Empty Layer, and paint on it using any colour. Wherever there is colour the Background Copy will show, sort of a Layer mask in reverse. To partly reveal things, reduce opacity of Paintbrush. To remask areas, erase paint strokes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 09:07 AM

Question Help Viewing tutorial pics

Hi Vikki,

I was just looking at your tutorial, “The Awesome Power of Layer Masks”, but I could not view the pictures. I’ve made the adjustments referenced in RetouchPro’s “Red X Instead of Image” section and have been able to view other tutorials and pages at RetouchPro. Can you help me solve why the pictures on your tutorial are not displaying?

Thanks,

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrule
Hi Vikki,

I was just looking at your tutorial, “The Awesome Power of Layer Masks”, but I could not view the pictures. I’ve made the adjustments referenced in RetouchPro’s “Red X Instead of Image” section and have been able to view other tutorials and pages at RetouchPro. Can you help me solve why the pictures on your tutorial are not displaying?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim:

Vikki is making the transistion to semi-retirement, so she may not see your request as soon as she would have in the past. Just in case and if you've tried everything here...
http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/red-x.html

...note the last line: "If you have other problems (or other solutions), email me via the Contact page." It may not be clear that "me" = Doug Nelson, the site owner and tech guru.

Here's his e-mail address: dnelson@retouchpro.com

Give Doug a shout. He usually responds within a couple hours and if he can't get you over the hump, nobody can.

Hope you get fixed up soon. Vikki's tutorial is very informative.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2004, 04:21 PM

I seem to be having problems with my service. I've changed the links to my PBase site. The tutorial should be working now.
Thanks,
Vikki

My PBase Gallery
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Can't see pictures

Hi, New member here. I got red-x instead of picture when viewing this tutorial, but have not problems with any other tutorials. Read the following page and shut down ZoneAlarm, and still have problem. Please help!
http://www.retouchpro.com/pages/red-x.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 AM

hpycmpr,

First of all -- make sure you turned ZoneAlarm back on! I have used ZoneAlarm for several years, and have never even had to add RetouchPro to my list in Program Control -- everything has always worked fine. The most you should ever have to do is tell ZAlarm "yes" if it asks you for permission to access something -- that YOU are asking it to do -- you never have to turn it off to let something work. ("Never" means never while doing the things that I've had to do -- there may be an exception )

Second -- I just checked the images -- and I see red X's also!! Vikki may have changed her images or links at Pbase, or it may be a Pbase problem (they've been having some problems for a few months).

Email "the janitor" (the BOSS), Doug, at dnelson@retouchpro.com and let him know about the problem. He can get in touch with Vikki or you can try emailing or Private Messaging her (click on her name in a post and bring up her profile -- it will show links for email or messaging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2005, 10:59 AM

Sorry you're having problems. It's not just you... I'm getting Red x's (now) too. I don't know if the tutorial images are supposed to be linked to Vicki's pBase site, but you can try checking

http://www.pbase.com/vhansen/miscellaneous

...starting with the 2nd image. Not as convenient as having the pics right in the tutorial, but better than none.

In the mean time the following are very good tutorials on masking:
* http://www.webreference.com/graphics/column23/
* http://www.vrya.net/ts/photoshop7.php
* http://www.vrya.net/ts/photoshop1.php

As CJ suggested, contacting Doug Nelson would be my next step.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Thanks

CJ and Danny, thanks for confirming that you are also seeing red-x. I'll bring this to the Boss's attention. BTW, I was desparate when I shut down ZoneAlarm. Not my normal procedure. :-)

I'll check out the other mask links. Every time when I thought I had masks nailed, some new info would pop up. It would be great if we can have a compilation of mask definitions and uses, such as shadow mask, contrast mask, etc. There must be an exhaustive list. Yes?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2005, 05:04 PM

It should be ok now. I've uploaded the images here, so hopefully this won't happen again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials