RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Brighten up the pic taken in pub or disco

Old 01-23-2004, 10:15 PM

Brighten up the pic taken in pub or disco

Can someone advise me how to brighten up the pics that taken in pub or disco without having the picture look fake....by the way,i'm using the photoshop v.7.0
will this software help?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2004, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal
Can someone advise me how to brighten up the pics that taken in pub or disco without having the picture look fake....by the way,i'm using the photoshop v.7.0
will this software help?
Welcome, Tribal.

There's a good chance for hope. If it can't be done w/PS 7, it probably can't be done.

It would be very helpful if you could upload an example.

Here's how:
Use Photoshop's Save for the Web option so it's easy to monitor file size (needs to be 100KB or less). You may need to down sample the image a bit (via Image > Image size) beforehand.

When you reply to this thread click the "manage attachments" button (below the enter text window), browse to your 100KB pic, click the upload button. When the pic is uploaded, close the window and click Submit Reply.

Again, welcome, and I Look forward to seeing your example(s).

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2004, 09:10 AM

Welcome, Tribal, hello Danny

Here is how usually I fix the exposure problems :

1) Create a duplicate of your layer (normally, it is the background one)

2) In the Channels palette, Control(on a PC) or Command(on a mac)+Click the composite channel.
This will create a selection based on the luminosity of the image.

3) In the Layers Palette, click on the "add a layer mask" button (the second one on the bottom of the palette.)
Since you've got a selection from the previous step, the selection is now transfered to the mask.

4) Click on the thumbnail of the layer. (notice that the icon on the left side is now a brush instead of a mask one)
Change the blending mode of the layer in the drop down menu from "normal" to "screen".
Since you've limited the scope of the modification with the layer mask, only the light tones are lightened, and the dark ones are mostly unaffected.

5) You can fine tune the effect by either: lowering the opacity of the layer if the effect is too strong, or duplicating the layer to emphasize it...
(you may need to reduce the opacity of the new copy if necessary.)

I hope that this will get you started, but it may be wise to post a copy of the image for more insight on how to fix the images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-01-2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPECtre
Welcome, Tribal, hello Danny

Here is how usually I fix the exposure problems :

1) Create a duplicate of your layer (normally, it is the background one)

2) In the Channels palette, Control(on a PC) or Command(on a mac)+Click the composite channel.
This will create a selection based on the luminosity of the image.

3) In the Layers Palette, click on the "add a layer mask" button (the second one on the bottom of the palette.)
Since you've got a selection from the previous step, the selection is now transfered to the mask.

4) Click on the thumbnail of the layer. (notice that the icon on the left side is now a brush instead of a mask one)
Change the blending mode of the layer in the drop down menu from "normal" to "screen".
Since you've limited the scope of the modification with the layer mask, only the light tones are lightened, and the dark ones are mostly unaffected.

5) You can fine tune the effect by either: lowering the opacity of the layer if the effect is too strong, or duplicating the layer to emphasize it...
(you may need to reduce the opacity of the new copy if necessary.)

I hope that this will get you started, but it may be wise to post a copy of the image for more insight on how to fix the images.
PC:

Great to see you and I'll almost done with feedback III.

This is some terrific advice.

From the "too many shortcuts, too little time" dept, here's one that will save a trip to the channels palette and back to the layers palette (ass-u-me-ing a flattened image): Alt + Ctrl + ~ loads the Luminosity of a layer just like ctlr + clicking the RGB composite channel.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-03-2004, 02:39 PM

Thumbs down

Of course, Danny, thanks for mentionning the shortcut. I assumed that the reader had already too many concepts to digest... and doing the manual way, he understands where the selection comes from... Personnaly, I do use "the claw"(it comes from the shape of your fingers when you do CTRL+ALT+~) . what I like in this technique is that the original layer is unaltered, and the fact that the picture "heals itself", somehow...

tip: it is possible to select a color channel, if there is more -or less- contrast in that peculiar one... remember also that you can use levels on the layer mask to refine its effects. It is also possible to reverse the effect for images with too much lighting, by inverting the mask, and using multiply...or using both techniques for extreme effects.

Some might prefer to use an "s" shaped curve, but I prefer to tweak my layers...

And of course, you can(should) create an action if you have several pictures to edit this way...

Danny: I have finished to read the tut.. part 4 of feedback will follow soon...
thanks again for your masterpiece, I hope that it is just the first of a series!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials