Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

"Blend If" in Elements 2

Old 02-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Leah
They display for me ... I just went now and double-checked and they're showing fine (and this is a work PC that I've not retrieved that tutorial on before, so it's not that they're cached or anything). Very strange.
They display for me too now.

That was a great tutorial dpnew! I don't have Elements but PS7, and now I understand what Blend If is for!
Thanks, I'm glad I can help out a PS user from time to time. I hope some Elements users can understand it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Restoration category?

My tutorial was put in the Restoration category for some reason. None of the techiques I discuss in the tutorial have anything to do with restoration. How can I get the tutorial moved to the Retouching category?

Last edited by dpnew; 02-12-2004 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for switching the tutorial to retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Re: "Blend If" in Elements 2

Just to note, and I realize it is years after the tutorial was written, but as I am called out in the opening paragraph I think it right to respond, as I am seeing the article for the first time. Richard Lynch says Blend If isn't in Elements, because it isn't. There is no feature called Blend If in Elements, and no direct way to access the controls -- unless you use actions for invoking Blend If (which I have built, and I see no where else on the internet). The book I wrote on Elements, well before this article appears, discusses using Blend Mask (a set of actions I created) specifically to simulate Blend If. I didn't want to call it the same thing, because it isn't, exactly. However, you can achieve exactly the same results. There are MANY ways of achieving the same or similar ends to corrections in Photoshop and Elements, which really was the core interest of my books on Elements, and it is humorous that dpnew calls me out as a naysayer about the abilities of Elements, when in actuality I have been nothing but a proponent of the power of elements (check out the title of my books). I use the 'power' word and hope to suggest that Elements can do many more things than advertised. And revealing hidden powers was the entire agenda of the books.

So even with this tutorial, Elements in any version through version 7 does not have an interface to Blend If, but indeed you can achieve the same things using various techniques and masking -- no denying. It is not surprise to me, and I write about it in two books released before this tutorial.

I hope dpnew has found content somewhere...he seems a very deeply angry person.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials