RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

"Blend If" in Elements 2

Old 02-11-2004, 03:13 PM

Post "Blend If" in Elements 2

Blend If techniques in Photoshop Elements 2

view here

If someone who uses Elements 1 can try the tutorial and tell me if it works for that version, I'll change the title. I think it should, but I didn't have access to Elements 1 to test it out.

Last edited by dpnew; 02-12-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 03:32 PM

Arrrrgh!

Hmmm...ohhhhhhmmmmm...ohhhhhhmmmm. Serenity now. Serenity now.

After finishing this tutorial, my recommendation for writing tutorials is to NOT do it all at once on your computer and then try to upload the whole thing, as the tutorial on writing tutorials recommends. I can't tell you how many times I had to redo all my images to get the sizes right and to get them to line up properly, and that was after having checked with several people about the correct size before I started. And then, after hours and hours of trying to get everything uploaded and last minute changes to redo images that weren't fitting properly or didn't look correct, I clicked the publish button, and 25 out of 30 of my images failed--I just got a blank white square and a red x. I also notice the font size in the published version isn't the same size you see when you are constructing the tutorial.

So, I would recommend that anybody who writes a tutorial of any length should do it in sections. When you get done with a short section, publish it, and check to make sure you are doing things correctly. Then, finish another short section and upload it to your published tutorial. Put "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" in the title or something to let people know you aren't finished. Keep adding to it in small steps. That way if you find something you are doing wrong, you won't have to redo everything. I found out the hard way--hours and hours of work down the drain. Sheesh!

Ohh...and I tried changing the link to the tutorial from "details" to "click here" and the link got deleted. The way things are going I'm sure that means the whole tutorial evaporated??

Last edited by dpnew; 02-11-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 04:41 PM

Help

I can't get the font size to work. There is a complete disconnect between what I am doing in the editor and what gets published.

The first problem is the font size does not appear the same size when you publish it--it's much smaller. Ok, so you have to go up to a bigger size in the editor. I tried a couple of different sizes, and now I've hit on the best one. I changed the first paragraph to that size in the editor, and I got it to publish. Then I changed the second paragraph in the editor, and it wouldn't publish in the bigger size, even though in the editor the font size in the second paragraph is the same as the font size in the first paragraph. When I publish them, the font size in the second paragraph is smaller. What's going on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM

I imagine that some html coding has got "stuck" in the underlying code for your page and is overriding the coding you are setting in the editor. If you click on the "<>" button on the toolbar when editing, you can see the html code. If you know html then you may be able to see and fix the problem there.

If you don't know html, you can try fixing things by typing

<font size="4">

right at the start of the html coding, before the first <p>, and typing

</font>

right at the end of the coding, after everything else, but I'm not convinced that will work (if it does, you may need to experiment with the number to get the size you want - larger numbers are bigger) and obviously it shouldn't be necessary. I'll drop Doug a PM and ask if he knows anything about this problem.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2004, 05:46 PM

Actually, if your tutorial is the one here then all the paragraphs are displaying at the same (larger) size for me. Could your browser just be caching the earlier version of the page with the smaller font size?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 AM

I've got everything sorted out now. I can't really tell what went wrong with the font, but suddenly it started working. I guess I should make a post in the discuss section of the tutorial on "How to make tutorials" to outline all the problems I had and the things I did wrong. What an ordeal.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 01:52 AM

Leah,

I often direct people to your "Smart Sharpening for Elements" tutorial, but the images don't display. Any chance you could get those to work, so people aren't put off by the tutorial?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 04:57 AM

They display for me ... I just went now and double-checked and they're showing fine (and this is a work PC that I've not retrieved that tutorial on before, so it's not that they're cached or anything). Very strange.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnew
but the images don't display.
You get a red X? I think this is a problem with some firewall software on Windows. There is a fix for it somewhere on this site. Try a search.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2004, 05:39 AM

That was a great tutorial dpnew! I don't have Elements but PS7, and now I understand what Blend If is for!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials