RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Blend-if In Photoshop

Old 03-08-2004, 12:59 AM

Post Blend-if In Photoshop

This tutorial focuses just on the blend-if sliders in Photoshop. I put this in the "The Basic" category because my goal was to write this tutorial clearly enough for all experience levels (and there is not an advanced category). [details]
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2004, 01:14 AM

Wow -- there's a lot of content in a small space there!

It's good to get some more background detail on aspects of blend-if. I've used it and knew roughly how it worked, but there's a whole range of aspects I hadn't thought about.

Note to others - this is one of those tutorials that isn't likely to sink in just by reading it -- you'll need to dive in and have a play with the sample images yourself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2004, 09:56 AM

Thank you Roger!!!

I had already 'played' with the 'Blend if' option sometimes ... but never knowing what I was really doing ....

It's something new to try .... and it looks very powerful!!!!

I agree with Leah:

Quote:
this is one of those tutorials that isn't likely to sink in just by reading it -- you'll need to dive in and have a play with the sample images yourself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2004, 04:11 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Roger,

I had only a short time on the computer this morning, but I wanted you to know that I saw the tutorial, so I replied. Since I now have a little more time, I've deleted the first post, and replaced it with this one.

First of all, thank you very much for the kind words, but I am not deserving of all that. I never thought I did any *work* at RP. I just enjoy the site like many others. Now on to the tutorial.

Thank you very much for an inside look at how blend-if works. I printed the tutorial, and began to work with it in Photoshop. I only spent a few minutes with it so far, and it's still a little fuzzy to me (I'm a slow learner ). But I think you did a fantastic job with it, and I think it's the best I've seen to get someone started. By this time tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I'll understand it better. If I have a problem with it, I'll put you in the hot seat, and ask for assistance. I really appreciate your time to write up the tutorial. It's one I've been wanting for some time. Thanks again.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2004, 08:54 PM

I think I'm *beginning* to get it, but still having a problem visualizing masking an image with blend-if. Would it be too much to add an image, and show how it's masked? Please don't feel any pressure to do this, but if you want to kill a little time some day, that would be great. My brain is smoking. Think I'll turn in early.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2004, 11:15 PM

Hi Ed, Flora & Leah,

Thanks for your kind words. Ed, if it is or isn't 'work', your effort is appreciated.

I added some more info to the tutorial, hopefully it will make it a little easier to understand.

It really is necessary to download the test images, make a two layered image and play with the blend-if sliders to really get it - The fact that the test images have pure colors makes it a lot easier to understand. I thought I had 'got it' until I made the test image (I tried a couple of different variations on what you see) - only after playing with the test image did I figure the rest of it out.

Quote:
Ed wrote: Would it be too much to add an image, and show how it's masked?
I don't mind - but I am not sure what would be learned that the test images don't show more clearly. Throw in a couple of images with what you want to do and then we can discus what we can (and more importantly can't) do with them with 'blend-if'. I think that might help 'reveal' any missconceptions that might be getting in the way of an understanding.

Thanks,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 01:54 AM

I think part of the trouble with blend-if is that initially it's hard to think of a practical example of what you could do with it - which is where a "real" image would come in.

Scott Caplin has some good real-world examples in his book How to Cheat in Photoshop, if anyone has access to that. That's what made the little lightbulb come on inside my head...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 06:44 AM

"Real" Example

Hi

I was reading along with this and thought of a book I have, Photoshop6 WOW Book. I remembered a small example of the Blend If that I just couldn't believe, that is until I got the pic off the accompanying CD and try it myself.

It is pretty amazing...I've kind of copied it in the pics below, but please note that all rights, etc are to the great folks who put out the WOW series books.

At least this may help those out there to see the powerful potential of this tool.

Oh yeah...the info about what's happening might help...this was done in Photoshop 7 also.

In the 2nd step...Blend If, Gray, This Layer (1st Blend If screen shot), you can "split" the little triangles by holding the Alt key (PC).
In the 3rd step...Blend If, Blue, Underlying layer (2nd Blend If screen shot)
The last step is changing the Layer Blend mode to Screen and dropping the opacity.

Hope that helps as a "real" world example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Earth_Rock_steps.jpg (25.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Blend_if_screens.jpg (33.4 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=Leah]I think part of the trouble with blend-if is that initially it's hard to think of a practical example of what you could do with it - which is where a "real" image would come in. QUOTE]

I think that's right. I'll take another look at the tutorial, and play around with the information jrolinc provided. Thanks everyone, for trying to help me understand.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 AM

Jeffrey,

That is a wonderful example. Understanding blend-if is new enough to me that the examples are not tripping off of my tongue, Thanks.

Roger
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials