RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Layer Tutorials..again?

Old 06-17-2004, 09:55 PM

Layer Tutorials..again?

Are there any recommended tutorials for begining Layers that actually let you take one of your own images and walk you through a step by step process. I am a hands on learner, so the less I read and the more I practice the better I get. I do have PS 7 Classroom in a Book and have not done this as I have a decent background in PS and I guess I might just be stuborn, not wanting to start at the beginning. ????

Thanks in advance.
Deb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 04:54 AM

Hi Deb:

re: "...let you take one of your own images and walk you through a step by step process."

There's no hands on layer-related exercises in Classroom in a Book or there is, but it (they) don't apply directly to your personal image(s)?

So there's no misunderstanding, what's the nature of a typical image you have in mind, e.g., snapshot, old relic, what? What would you want to do with it: basic correction? repair/restoration? manipulate into art? or ???

The reason I ask is the steps one would apply would vary from image to image and type of work being done.

In the mean time here's a couple links to general tutorials that look promising (conceptual, not hands on). If you get the concepts, the hands-on exercises (when you find a hands on tutorial) will make more sense.
* The best I've ever seen: http://www.sketchpad.net/psdlayer1.htm
* http://www.photoshoptoday.com/HOWTO/...rs/default.asp
* Although PS Elements related, this one translates exactly to Photoshop: http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_wwhy1.htm
* http://www.arraich.com/ps6_tips_llayers1.htm

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-07-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 02:36 PM

Thanks for your help and more.

I enjoy landscape and wildlife the most and don't always, infact infrequently get what I thought I would get. The artistic side of d. photography amazes me and I am a hands on experimenter. But it is clear that I need some foundation on layers...sometime the grass is too green, the sky is too bright, I want my subject in another setting, etc. I enclosed an example of my work without any layer work...just lots of filters and attempts.

Thanks so much
Deb
http://www.pbase.com/image/30166576
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2004, 08:01 PM

Fun pix in your gallery... I especially like this one. Looks like it was done with the Impressionist plugin. If so and you like playing around with that one, check out this forum. Lots of Impressionist hints, tips there.

The range panorama is very impressive, too.

Anyway, just to get you going, if you'd be willing to play Q-n-A in this thread, you and I (and whomever else wants to jump in) can create an "on the fly" hands on tutorial that specifically meets your needs and addresses your questions. So assuming you'll say, "Yes," for the moment.... I'll start.

Open the attachment for an exercise that will hopefully start turning on some lightbulbs for you.

Cheers!

~Danny~
Attached Files
File Type: doc Layers tutorial.doc (33.0 KB, 163 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Wink I got more than I ever expected!

Danny, this exercise is very cool! I will take another "western" shot and work your tutorial. I can't believe the overwhelming support and the compliments.
Yes, I love the Impressionist filter and Buzz as well.
I am sure many people will benefit from your post.
More in a little while.

Deb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 10:13 AM

Trouble already

Now I may be slightly embarrassed, but I do recall a teacher saying there are no stupid questions....so I am stuck on step #12. Drag and drop the background...
I have Experiment and layer 1; then background for the 3rd image. Can't seem to drag?
Dahhhhh, so early in the game there may be many more of these questions....ok?
Deb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Got It

On to the next step
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip022
...I do recall a teacher saying there are no stupid questions....there may be many more of these questions....ok?
Deb
Glad you got it figured out, Deb.

For future ref:
a) Questions are never stupid
b) Ask as many as you like. No extra charge!

Now that you mentioned it, there are two ways to drag and drop a layer from one image to another:

Prep: It helps if both image windows are more-or-less side by side, so you can see both.

Method 1:
1. Click on the layer name (in this case Background) of the layer you want to copy.
2. While holding down the left mouse button, move the mouse over the top of the Experiment image and release the mouse button.

Method 2:
In this method, certain tools must be active, e.g., the Move tool. Other tools will work, too, but not all of them. Move is always safe and it's easy to remember.
1. In a multiple layer image, be sure the layer you want to copy is active (highlighted) in the layers palette.
2. Place the cursor in the image (not in the Layers Palette) and drag/drop into the Experiment image.

Note: This method can be a little dicey because positioning is a function of where the layer is when you release the mouse button.

In method 2 to "center" the layer in the destination image, hold down the SHIFT key while doing the drag and drop.

- - - - - - -

Keep on asking!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2004, 07:52 AM

Been gone

Danny, I just wanted to let you know that your tutorial was a huge help, but right in the middle of this, we are moving...so I will be gone for about another two weeks.
I will post some trys as soon as I can...sure thought others would post their trys, oh well their loss...
Deb
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2004, 09:43 AM

No problem, Deb. Good luck on the move and touch base when you return. Then we'll keep going. Thanks for checking in. -djr-
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials