RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

A quick and easy Warhol effect

Old 08-17-2004, 02:39 PM

Post A quick and easy Warhol effect

One easy way to create a Warhol-esque Pop Art effect. Written for Photoshop (should work for any recent version) but the principles can be applied using any other software package that supports layer masks. [details]
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2004, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah
One easy way to create a Warhol-esque Pop Art effect. Written for Photoshop (should work for any recent version) but the principles can be applied using any other software package that supports layer masks. [details]
This is an excellent tutorial on a popular method. Two well deserved thumbs up, Leah. Well done. Andy should have had it this easy!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2004, 07:13 AM
Janitor

Andy would have liked Photoshop, especially if this procedure was made into a droplet that you could just drag a picture into
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2004, 05:55 PM

Help with Warhol tutorial

I am having trouble with step 6 (Load Selection). For some reason, drop down list when I hit Select>Load Selection does not include my resized grayscale image. The only item in the list is the solid color image itself? I am a rank amateur working on PS CS on a MAc, if that helps. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2004, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolerytom
I am having trouble with step 6 (Load Selection). For some reason, drop down list when I hit Select>Load Selection does not include my resized grayscale image. The only item in the list is the solid color image itself? I am a rank amateur working on PS CS on a MAc, if that helps. Thanks.
Welcome and thanks for asking this question. If you got stuck, some other folks probably did too. Congrats on having the stones to wave the white flag.

In the big scheme of things this tutorial uses some fairly advanced techniques, so as a rookie you were swimming in some pretty deep water. My hat's off to you for jumping right in. That's how you learn.

After looking through the tutorial, in my opinion Step 2 should be a little more forceful. You MUST use Image > Mode > Grayscale to convert the document into this format. What's not clear is that before this step you had the option of using other methods to get a B&W image, but the final step had to be the format conversion to grayscale.

If the image was "desaturated" (via Image > Adjustments > Desaturate) or some other method, e.g., Image > Adjustments > Channel Mixer (monochrome), the subsequent Load Selection step won't work as described.

If Image > Mode > Grayscale is applied, then when you open the Load Selection dialog in Step 6 there will be an entry for the grayscale document in the Documents dropdown menu. When you choose it, channel = gray will be available to load.

Does this help?

~Danny~

p.s. While looking into this, I learned a couple new things. There's no end to what you can learn about Photoshop.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 10-10-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2004, 02:44 AM

I'll copy in the PM I sent Tom on this in response to his PM...
My best guess is that either

(a) your "grayscale" image isn't really grayscale from Photoshop's point of view. If you do Image -> Mode does it have "Grayscale" checked? If not then you need to select Grayscale on that menu

(b) your two images aren't exactly the same size. If you look under Image -> Size, what pixel count do you get for each of them?

Let me know if either of these help at all -- if not I'll keep thinking!
Step 2 does say "make sure that you end up with a genuine greyscale image i.e. Image -> Mode -> Grayscale" but I'll try to make that more obvious.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2004, 09:25 AM

Thanks!

You guessed correctly - I got the Grayscale right (that was pretty clear), but my images were not the same size! The 5x7 crop on my photo was not ecactly the same (in pixels) as the 5x7 color images in Photoshop. Once I got those lined up - VOILA - is worked! Thanks for your prompt assistance. The tutorial was great.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Hello!

I´m new to this page, and i´m very interrested in this warhol tutorial. I just cant find it anywhere in this page? Thank you for helping out.

Hi! I Was a bit fast posting this message. I found it! Thanks. Ill try it now!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryttar
I´m new to this page, and i´m very interrested in this warhol tutorial. I just cant find it anywhere in this page? Thank you for helping out.

Hi! I Was a bit fast posting this message. I found it! Thanks. Ill try it now!
Welcome to RetouchPRO. Glad you found the link.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Re: A quick and easy Warhol effect

i have a antiquated version of photoshop (5.0) and cannot determine how to get the image pasted into the layer mask....any suggestions?
thx
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials