RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

watermark signature

Old 08-21-2004, 02:24 PM

watermark signature

Hello,

I have followed the tutorial about doing watermarks on a photoshop file.
I did it.
My question is:
If I give a paint i did to someone with my signature done according to the tutorial, is there a way to avoid a possibility that this file would be scanned and then with photoshop, or any other suitable software, the signature would be erased from the painting.

TIA

Rikla
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 01:44 AM

Which tutorial did you use? [hangs head in shame] I can't actually find a RP tutorial on adding watermarks, although I'm sure we must have one.

The simple answer is "No". You basically have to strike a compromise between making the watermark so big and obvious and over an important part of the photograph that it would be very difficult to remove and making sure that your image is still visible. Look at this image from Janet Petty, for example, to see how she's used a watermark.

You are always taking a risk when you let a photograph out of your direct control -- as is a conventional photographer who stamps "PROOF" on a photograph with ink (those can also be removed in Photoshop). All you can do is limit that risk and make a decision for yourself on whether it is worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 05:54 AM

watermark

Hello Leah,

Thank you for your reply.

There is a very good tute for actions from David Kendal in RetouchPro. I tried, too, the one from Sue Chastain. Everything worked wonderful.But it is so easy to remove any watermak after scanning the picture.

Kindly,

Rikla
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2004, 02:21 PM

It kind of depends -- the problem is, if you can easily mentally edit the watermark out using the human eye/brain combination then you can probably physically edit it out easily using Photoshop.

The ways to make a watermark more difficult to remove through scanning and Photoshop are (a) put it on top of important information and/or (b) make it more obtrusive (i.e. destroy more of the information under it).

For example, in these three shots watermark #1 would be pretty easy to remove, watermark #2 more difficult (covers important information) and there is no way, even if I were so inclined, that I would attempt to remove watermark #3.

But as a tradeoff for this, it is much easier to get an impression of the original image with watermark #1, more difficult with #2, and much more difficult with #3.

As with so much in life, you have to balance two competing interests and decide which is more important to you.

[Note to anyone else reading this thread: Sue Chastain's tutorial (non-RP) can be found here ]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watermark1.jpg (27.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg watermark2.jpg (26.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg watermark3.jpg (27.1 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials