RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Using Neat Image with Selections

Old 09-07-2004, 08:42 AM

Tank you so much for your kindness, Don! ..
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2004, 10:31 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Excellent tutorial Flora! But we wouldn't expect less from you. I looked quickly at the tutorial, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be done in some versions previous to CS. Did I miss something?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2004, 12:04 PM

Hi Ed!

Thank you so much for your great comment!!

...Nope...you didn't miss anything at all .... I just wrote Photoshop CS because that's the version I'm using .... I thought I had to specify that ... but, since it can lead to doubts ... I changed it to just Photoshop!

Thanks for pointing it out!!

Take care..

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2004, 12:14 PM

... I don't know why ... but I don't receive any e-mail notification for this thread even if it was started by my publishing the tutorial it refers to ... I 'generously' posted in it .... and have the 'Instant Email Notification' as Notification Type...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2004, 04:18 PM

Superb Tutorial

I take my hat off to you for this tutorial. Great information that is both concise and informative. It is easy to follow and understand. I teach a very beginner Photoshop class. This will be one that my students can peek at and work with. Thanks is too small.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2004, 03:14 AM

Hi Janet,

Thank you very much for your kindness!!!

I'm so glad (and proud) my Tut can be used for lessons!!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 08:04 AM

Very nice tutorial, Flora.

I highly recommend NeatImage Pro+. It's an excellent product and Vlad provides excellent customer service, too.

You can use an layer mask you like wit NI Pro+.

I do all of my noise removal on a layer. I press alt+ctl+shift+n+e (opt+cmd+shift+n+e on the Mac) to merge all the visible layers into a new layer.

(I do the same for localized and output sharpening, BTW.)

By using a layer, I can redo the whoe effect later. I can use Layer Style settings to modify the effect. Plus I can use a Layer Mask and even alter the mask later.

One thing I typically do is take my edge mask for sharpening and invert it. This gives me a surface mask for noise removal. That helps keep NI Pro+ from softening the very edges I sharpen during capture sharpening, for example.

I'll try to make this discussion into a tutorial with images, so people can see how keeping noise removal away from edges helps a lot.

I like the idea of different sharpening for brighter areas and darker. Brighter areas also often suffer noise. Sky gradients, for example, can suffer noise. Brighter areas tend to suffer chroma noise more. Anyway, separating light and dark lets you attack the problems separately. A good idea!

Cheers,

Mitch
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitchel
Very nice tutorial, Flora.

I like the idea of different sharpening for brighter areas and darker. Brighter areas also often suffer noise. Sky gradients, for example, can suffer noise. Brighter areas tend to suffer chroma noise more. Anyway, separating light and dark lets you attack the problems separately. A good idea!
Actually, I've been cogitating about this point.

NeatImage lets you adjust which tones are affected and how much. Each channel has a number of sliders for controlling the response at various tonal levels. You could simply adjust those sliders.

If you want to limit the effect and not frog around with all those sliders on three channels, you could run NeatImage on a layer and use the BlendIf sliders for the layer in order to target where the effect is applied.

The automatic highlight mask is misnamed, IMHO. It does not just select highlights. (Convert it to a channel, and you'll see.) It is a luminosity mask. Masking is directly related to the average luminosity for the three channels. Brighter tones less and darker tones more. Only deep shadows get completely masked. The marching ants only show 50% selection and above, so it looks like only highlights are selected.

If you really only want to get midtones through highlights, you should start with that highlight selection, convert it to a channel, and run a curve on the channel. Set something like Input = 100 Output = 0. That channel would mask the three-quarter tones and shadows completely.

Cheers,

Mitch
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2004, 06:43 AM

Hi Mitch,

Thank you so much for your feedback!

What great ideas!!!! Since reading your posts here I've barely left my computer!!!!

You got me cogitating as well on the Neat Image + Blend if ... combination ... (re-read Roger's great, great Tutorial on 'Blend if' .. It really seems to work magic!!!!!

Still got to experiment with it a bit more and I'll let you know ....

.... and I haven't tried your Edge Mask yet!!!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2004, 07:05 PM

I make an edge mask for capture sharpening. Actually, I use my TLR Sharpening Toolkit, which makes the edge mask(s).

I invert that edge mask and use it for NeatImage.

So, I get the sharpen edges and not turn around and soften them with the same mask. Quick and easy, and it works great!

Ciao!

Mitch
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials