RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Tutorial on Photo Retouching

Old 11-26-2004, 11:16 AM

Tutorial on Photo Retouching

Hi would someone know where I could fine a tututorial on the Photo Retouching similar to what was done by grafx (Romance Novel Cover? - Sarah Justice) or Emulating Keane.
Thanks in advance

stinkylint
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkylint
Hi would someone know where I could fine a tututorial on the Photo Retouching similar to what was done by grafx (Romance Novel Cover? - Sarah Justice) or Emulating Keane.
Thanks in advance

stinkylint
Welcome, Slinky...

If you could find and post a couple links to examples of what you're looking for or scan a representative cover and upload as an attachment that would helpful.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Photo Retouching

Hi Danny, thank you for replying back, here is a couple of links of the pictures I'am referring to.
http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges...cat/595/page/1.

http://www.retouchpro.com/challenges...cat/614/page/1.

I have a granddaughter and would love to be able to do what was done with the last link as well as retouch a couple of family photos, similar to the first link. I'am fairly new to photoshop, been using it now for a couple of months and know the basics. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you again
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2004, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the links, Slinky. Pix worth many K words...

Disclaimer: Take this with a grain of salt since I don't normally do this type of work.

On the first one Graphx stated, "I started with a base layer with an extreme noise/median effect. The rest is all airbrushed with a bit of smudge. Hair added and modified with Liquify..."

Here's something to try:
* Duplicated the Background
* To the duplicate applied the Noise > Median filter. Experiment with the radius value... low for a subtle effect or higher as desired. What you're trying to do is (what's known as) "simplify" the image, that is remove a lot of unnecessary detail while retaining important edge definition. Don't worry about hosing over eye, mouth, nose and ear detail at this point.
* To restore mouth, eye, ear detail add a layer mask: Layer > Add Layer Mask > Reveal all
* Set the foreground color to black (press D key and, if necessary, X key)
* Choose the Brush tool from the tools palette
* Choose a soft-edged brush from the Brushes palette
* Right-click and set the diameter of the brush to somewhat more than the eyes - it doesn't have to be precises.
* Turn on the Airbrush option.
* Set Opacity and Flow to about 50%
* Click a couple times around the eyes, mouth, ears to restore as much detail as you like. If you overdo it, press X (th eXchange the colors) and airbrush white to undo.
* Click on the Background and duplicate this layer again.
* Drag the duplicate to the top of the layer stack.
* Apply filter Blur > Smart Blur > Normal. You'll need to experiment with the controls while watching the preview until you get the effect you're looking for. In theory this filter removes what it considers to be unnecessary detail while retaining important edges. (Sometimes it works... sometimes not.) This filter will render a simlar result to what you've got so far that you may or may like better. If you like parts of it, but not all, do like you did before... add a Layer Mask and airbrush black over the areas you don't like to reveal the layers below.
* Once you get a look you're pretty much happy with, create a new layer at the top of the layer stack.
* Lower the airbrush opacity and flow to about 40%.
* Hold down the alt key (the brush will temporarily turn into the Dropper tool) and click anywhere. Note how the foreground color is set to the color you clicked. When you release the Alt key, the tool becomes the Brush again. This is a slick way of quickly choosing colors from your image.
* This next part is more art than science... You may want to "soften" some areas of color transition around the face. Alt + click on a lighter area and airbrush it on an adjacent darker area to blend and smooth the transition between the two areas. If you mess this up, choose the Eraser tool to undo. Airbrush until you're OK with the results.
* I don't use the Liquify tool, but an alternative is to use the Smudge tool for giving hair a little arty-ness. Be sure option "use all layers" is selected and you're working on a new layer. If hair color is dark, set the layer blend mode to Screen. If the hair color is light, set the blend mode to Multiply.
* Choose a small spatter brush, set the Smudge tool opacity to about 50% and smudge a few streaks. Depending on setting they will come out dark or light. Then change the layer blend mode to Normal and smudge the streaks into the hair. If necessary apply a little Noise > Median to smooth things out.
* When hair smudging is done, create a new layer.
* While holding down the Alt key, choose Merge Visible from the Layer menu. This will combine all your layers into a new one without collapsing the individual layers, as would happen with just Merge Visible.
* Duplicate the merged layer and to it apply some Sharpen > Unsharp Mask. Set the radius value to 50 or so and experiment with the amount setting. This will give the final arty look. Again if you want, add a layer mask to this layer and airbrush black where you want to restore some of the softness from the layer below.

An aside while I'm thinking about it... the purpose of all the individual layers is to retain flexibility and "go back" points. Layer masks allow you to reveal/conceal layers below by airbrushing white/black on the mask. This does not physically alter the layer itself... only what you're able to see. On some of the other layers (like the smudge and airbrush layers), it's easy to "erase" (or delete the layer completely) and start over at any point where things go really bad (that happens sometimes).

Anyway I hope this gets you started. The attached image was created using the steps above.

In addition I found these other topics that might be of interest. They address generic "fashion" retouching methods, which take a different approach but generally focus on simplification and coverup of undesirable attributes:
* http://graphic-design.com/Photoshop/glamour.html
* http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...b/glamour.html
* http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=8377913
* Removing wrinkles, Russell Brown: http://www.creativemac.com/articles/...le.jsp?id=6888

Here's a very good one on airbrushing concepts...
* http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161007

Have fun experimenting.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Becky simplified.jpg (80.6 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 11-29-2004 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added link to airbrushing tutorial.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials