RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Defining Brush Tutorial using CS

Old 01-13-2005, 05:42 AM

Defining Brush Tutorial using CS

I'm trying to find a CS tutorial on defining and saving brushes and their dynamics etc.

.. I can find ones on how to define and save a brush (no problems there) but what I am trying to learn is how to save the Spacing of the brush tip shape etc ...

I have been stuck for days with this one

Can anyone help ....

PS ... I'm just a beginnner so its step by step I'm looking for.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 09:01 AM

Hi Wendy:

What you want to do is define a brush "preset."

Think of a preset as a capture of whatever brush you've selected, plus all the characteristics you've assigned to it, e.g., foreground color, opacity, flow, airbrush (on/off) and any of the possible options from the brushes palette. When you choose a preset from the preset menu, it's the equivalent of selecting its corresponding brush from the brushes palette and assigning all the custom characteristics.

Once you've got all the brush characteristics specified, look to the top left of the screen, under the File and Edit menu. There should be a small window with a paintbrush image inside with an arrow next to it. (The paintbrush image signifies that the Brush tool is the active tool. If you pick another tool, for example, Crop, the image changes accordingly.):
* Click the arrow next to the paintbrush to show the Preset Picker menu dialog
* The Preset Picker menu dialog also has an arrow (top right).
* When you click the second arrow, a flyout menu will be displayed. From it choose "New tool preset".
* Assign a meaningful name## in the dialog and you're done.

(## I precede custom presets with "#djr-" to (a) identify them as presets I've defined and (b) so they will sort to the top of the list.)

Down the road when you want to use this preset, choose Brush from the Tools menu and select your preset from the Preset Picker menu.

Note: You can define presets for many (but not all) tools, e.g., eraser, clone, art history brush, crop, shapes, etc.

Hope this gets you moving.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 09:52 AM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for the information ... just a couple of points:

I'm now having a problem assigning characteristics to it. I select my brush then go to the brushes palette ... but I don't understand why some things are grayed out and I don't understand about the little locks?

I wanted to take a brush that I have already defined make its spacing 100 then add a little scattering and some colour dynamics. I have selected my brush then gone to the brushes palette ... I'm lost as to what to do next and also the colour dynamics section is grayed out anyway.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Ok ... I have now sorted most of it out and made my brushes and presets ... so thanks very much for all the help.

The only thing that I still don't understand is the locks ... When you make a brush set under what circumstances do you "lock" them?

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM

Defining custom Photoshop brushes, tutorial links

Wendy:

Between the time I started this reply to your original questions and now (just before I post this), I see you're well on your way to success. Congrats on getting it sorted out.

Since I had already put together this collection of tutorial links, I'm going to post them in case others are interested in this subject.

re: "The only thing that I still don't understand is the locks ... When you make a brush set under what circumstances do you "lock" them?"

I'm not sure what you mean by this, so if you could provide more info, perhaps I can help.

~Danny~

- - - - - - -

The first 4-part series is by David Nagel, who is a very accomplished Photoshop user.

Part 1: Defining a custom brush tip shape
http://www.corporatemedianews.com/20...hes1021017.htm

Part 2: Brush Dynamics
http://www.corporatemedianews.com/20...eng2021030.htm

Part 3: Creating custom brushes with size, angle and roundness dynamics
http://www.corporatemedianews.com/20...eng3021119.htm

Part 4:Working with color dynamics to preserve texture and add depth
http://www.corporatemedianews.com/20...eng4021203.htm

- - - - - - -

This one ('Photoshop 7: Using Brush Shapes and Textures) is from CreativePRO and gives a slightly different spin on the subject:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/fea...l?origin=story

- - - - - - -

Another from CreativePRO: "Photoshop 7: Understanding the Brushes Palette
"
http://www.creativepro.com/story/fea...l?origin=story
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Danny,

Thanks so much for those links ... I have just take a look and they are great .... just what I need to carry on with the set I am doing. I really do appreciate the help

Now by locks I mean the ones that are on the left hand side of the brushes palette by the different characteristics:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...9m69sokeyW9LP1

Once again thanks for you help

Wendy
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW
Danny,

Thanks so much for those links ... I have just take a look and they are great .... just what I need to carry on with the set I am doing. I really do appreciate the help

Now by locks I mean the ones that are on the left hand side of the brushes palette by the different characteristics:

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...9m69sokeyW9LP1

Once again thanks for you help

Wendy
Ah... I see what you mean. (screen shot greatly appreciated). The locks must be a new feature in CS. The lock icons don't appear in the PS7 brushes palette.

Could be one of two things and you'll just need to experiment...(1) If a lock is engaged for a given setting category = you can't change any of the underlying settings until the lock is disengaged. (2) It may mean that whatever changes you make are "locked in place" and will be saved with the brush.

Try this:
Engage Photoshop's HELP function (F1) and do a search on "lock". Maybe among the topics displayed will be one for brushes that will give a precise answer. There were a bunch of topics displayed under PS7.

Glad the links look useful.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 04:59 PM

I have just done a quick search and they "Lock the brush tip attributes" ... the way CS & 7 deal with saving the attributes of brushes seems to be quite different and it looks like locking one of these makes the locked attribute an attribute of the brush tip shape itself (and any brushes that use that brush shape).

Hope that makes sense as I haven't yet fully understood it myself.

Wendy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials