Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

RP Tutorials Discussion for tutorials published via our automated system, and about the tutorial publishing system itself.

Hue and Sat

Old 01-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Post Hue and Sat

Take Hue and Sat, then let Lum fall where it may. Let's take byRo's technique and rearrange the data a little bit - a very useful parlour trick. Thank you, byRo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
I am not exactly the kind of person that can look at a photo and see the adjustments that are needed. I truly admire people that can.

Personally, I'm the kind of guy that has to see the little things. When I can see the problems in the little things, I can see the fixes much easier. For examle, the reflective jacket thread. If I hadn't looked at the pure hues and known the connection between hue and lum, I never would have known that yellow could have used some shifting towards red. Go, Flora.

A photo can be torn apart in several different ways. One way is Red, Green, and Blue. If one channel is blown out and causing problems, use Channel Mixer. Another way is L*ab. I'm not comfortable using Lab, but I do on occassion.

Many years ago, Photoshop had HSB/HSL modes. They are long gone, but some of the functionality is still there. The remaining functionality allows for tearing a photo apart into Hue and Sat (Lum is a tangled mess of technical junk stuff). This is one of my favorite ways of digging into a photo. I am very comfortable with it.

byRo has shown a way of getting Hue and Sat. I showed how I like to rearrange the data. They are the same, but visually different.

Colour = Hue and Sat. I do work with Hue and Sat together on the same layer on occassion. However, I usually work with Hue and Sat separated on own layers.

I worked up a really quick-n-sloppy example of how I use tearing apart and putting back together. Even though I'm showing Colour, I did work with Hue and Sat separated. The differences in Hue wasn't that too bad, but the difference in Sat was considerable.

(I also extracted Lum and worked on that, but I'm not showing it.)

Yeah, quick-n-sloppy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg facemerge1.jpg (51.9 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > RP Tutorials