RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Washington wildlife cams

Old 03-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Washington wildlife cams

Go to this link to watch eagles and blue herons nesting. It should be fun to watch chicks hatch in a few weeks.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2005, 07:03 PM

MaryLynn -- thanks for these links! I've watched some robins and hummers caring for their babies at a webcam a couple of years ago, but hadn't looked yet this season. Watching the eagle parent feed the chick makes me feel good. I watched American Coot parents at a park lake swim hundreds of yards to collect a beakful of food and then swim back to the nest -- give it to the parent that was brooding the chicks (they take turns) and that parent give the food to the chicks, all without taking any of the food for themselves. Very good parenting skills. I was lucky enough that the reeds they nested in were close enough to the shore that I could watch with my binoculars. But these webcams really give you a front row seat!!

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 04:25 AM

MaryLynn

Thanks for the link. I had a hard time seeing anything on my end. Then I realized that though it is after 11 AM here in Germany, it is only after 2 AM in Washington. Hence, very dark. I will check back into it when the sun comes up over yonder.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 08:12 AM

CJ, Tyler, I'm glad you are enjoying the link. Yes, those of you in other parts of the world will have to adjust your viewing schedules. Of course you get to watch the nocturnal animals at a more convenient time than I do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2005, 07:07 PM

Wow! Kenmore Heron #1 stood up for a couple of minutes this afternoon, revealing two beautiful white eggs! Kenmore Heron #3 was also standing up but you can't see into the nest. They seem to be active about 4:30 to 5 pm, PST.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 12:11 PM

I think these bits of moving fluff are baby herons -- take a look! They're at the Heroncam1 - Kenmore.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wildwatch/heroncam/index.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heron-cam.jpg (74.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 02:18 PM

You're right, CJ. I check in on them several times a day and they have hatched out this last week. The first was on Tuesday the 19th and there should be four now. There will be a lot more opportunity to see them now that there will be "feeding time" all day long.

Heroncam 2 has been hit or slipped because it no longer points to the nest. Too bad, there were four eggs in that nest and it was earlier than heroncam 1.

Heroncam 3 has been interesting to watch also. They were still building the nest and seemed to have three eggs. Then the nest was abandoned for two days. About the week of April 10th they cleaned house, tossing out the eggs and starting fresh. On the 12th there was one egg and on the 15th it looked like two or possibly three eggs.

Eaglecams 1 & 2 are of the same nest. They have been sitting on two eggs from the very beginning and I would expect they will hatch anyday.

I really appreciate the opportunity to watch this process so closely. I'm glad others are enjoying it, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Talking I just love Eagles!

Thanks for the Link, do you know anymore sites like this? or good Eagle Pictures?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 03:18 PM

There is a recently hatched eaglet on view (with pictures of the hatching and during its first week or two of life)

http://www.nu.com/eagles/default.asp

It is one of the choices available from the eaglecam website which also includes the link above that MaryLynn gave us.
http://www.eaglecam.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 04:56 PM

We have one eaglet at Eaglecams 1 & 2 as of this morning. The other egg was still intact. Exciting!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon