RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

OK, now what do I do??

Old 03-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Smile OK, now what do I do??

Those of you who've followed my somewhat checkered career, know that I've done some volunteering at the local Seniors' center in the computer lab and even did a couple of stand-up routines based on PhotoShop Elements - to rave reviews I might add

I've had several requests from the seniors to continue my PhotoShop presentations, but there is a serious conflict with the "paid" instructors at the Seniors' center who get paid to teach courses that they know nothing about and then rely on me (the volunteer help) to bail them out (but I'm not here to complain)

Anyway, I came across a brochure for the local co-op owned cable outfit and they were calling for volunteers - something I know a bit about - so I had a look around their web site and there was a page asking folks to submit proposals for cable tv shows - hmmmm, went my gray matter, I could do that.

Soooo I called them, and just received a reply that they are interested in seeing my proposal for a tv show about PhotoShop (or photo retouching - don't know if it needs to be generic - does it?????)

Now what??

I have some ideas from earlier presentations, but for tv?

HELP

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwintoo
....Soooo I called them, and just received a reply that they are interested in seeing my proposal for a tv show about PhotoShop (or photo retouching - don't know if it needs to be generic - does it?????)

Now what??

I have some ideas from earlier presentations, but for tv?

HELP

Margaret

Brush your teeth, and don't wear stripes or seersucker.

If you look at some of the video tutorials (any subject) at DVGarage http://dvgarage.com/ you can get an idea of how some folks present to a video audience. You already have some materials that you've used, but need to think about how to present it to an "audience of one" looking right at you and your materials (rather than presenting materials to a small or large group in a room). Here are some of his Photoshop videos which relate to photo retouching -- http://dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=psb&sub=samples (You have to register at the site to see the free tutorials, but they only email you about sales once in a while, and you can shut that down if you only want to take a look at the tutorials. He's got a cable TV show of his own now, I guess, and used to guest on the former TechTV -- Screen Savers, Call for Help, etc.)

There may be someone here who has actual experience at this, (I hope), but the technicians at the TV channel hopefully know how to help get your materials to show up to the audience, and you just need to set up lesson plans -- just like you've probably already been doing at the senior center.

Vikki has done some teaching/training, and there's a thread from a couple of years ago talking about what to teach first, etc.
Found it -- right here:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ighlight=teach

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-30-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2005, 07:24 PM

Margaret,

I see by one of your posts in another thread that you have already completed a couple of TV shows, and are working on more before they are aired -- congratulations!!

Now, come back here and keep us updated!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2005, 08:10 PM

Hi CJ and everyone - well we've done two shows and I was disappointed with my performance

I know what I wanted to show, but the setup was all wrong but the good news is that they were very open to suggestions and there is lots of enthusiasm for the concept so I'm even more pumped about completing the series. My hope is that I can make the next few shows so much better that they will realize that the first two shouldn't be aired and shoot them over again.

It was a combination of me never having done this before and their wealth of experience, but never with this kind of format - now we know.

I originally planned to do the shows "live" so I could have a guest or at least some phone or email feed back, but that was not to be, so I'll have to rely on the camera operators to provide feedback - they are volunteers and are anxious to learn too so that helps.

For anyone contemplating this kind of thing and doubting their ability, I can think of no better way to learn an application like Photoshop Elements than to agree to teach it Every time I went through a project and started to make notes, I would wonder if there was an easier way and back I would come to RetouchPro to seek answers - things I never thought I needed to know before popped out of the files.

I will keep you all posted on how it goes,

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 AM

I hope it shows up on one of my cable channels!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2005, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
I hope it shows up on one of my cable channels!
I wish - it will only be shown locally. Maybe they'll send a tape to their sister station in the next city, but that's about it.

If I was going to be international, I'd have to dye my hair and wear makeup and do my nails............yikes!

I might be talked into recording it and sending a tape though.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 10:41 PM

The first show aired tonight and my vast audience of 4 people (my son, 2 youngest grandkids, and my Mom) thought it was a hit

I was pleased that it turned out as well as it did. The post-production guy did an amazing job considering what he had to work with.

There are 4 more episodes that will air in the coming weeks and then they want me to do another series, probably in the fall.

Wow!

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winwintoo
The first show aired tonight and my vast audience... thought it was a hit

There are 4 more episodes that will air in the coming weeks and then they want me to do another series, probably in the fall. Margaret

WOWZER!!! Your show has been picked up for the Fall -- You got RENEWED!!

Many tips of the Congratulations Hat!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 01:01 AM

Well done Margaret,

If they wan't to renew you can't be doing too much wrong. I'm sure your audience is a lot bigger than four as well.

Once again congratulations with your achievement, have fun with the next series, and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 AM

Thanks Gary and CJ - I got high praise from my elderly Mom - she said even she could understand what I was doing!!

I'm hoping that the cable station will take the hint and offer more programming like this for the elderly folks who have computers but who don't want to or can't go to a classroom to learn more about them.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon