RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What have you learned?

Old 11-15-2001, 03:49 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
What have you learned?

What have you learned since coming to RetouchPro? When I first came here, I knew nothing about channels or masking. I still don't claim to know a *lot* about them, but I surely know more than I did before. I also learned how to make better selections, how to move them into another image better, and how to make better tonal corrections. I also learned about channel mixing as well as a few other things. In short, when I came here I knew *very* little -- now I'm getting to the point that I'm able to get results a little better and a little faster. I'm still at the lower end of the RetouchPro scale, but I'm moving in the right direction thanks to everyone's willingness to help and share!!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 06:15 PM

I learned how good it feels to share what I know and make someone else happy just as it feels good to ask for help and see so many eager responses ten minutes after I posted it. I also learned alot of new techniques to add to my skills level but most of all I learned alot of the business end of things. And I needed that alot. I also learned I never want to stop learning. Thank you everyone.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 06:15 PM

Quite a bit about color and the capabilities of other Image Processing programs. Also lots of neat layer and blending tricks. Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 10:32 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is how to colorize BW pics so they don't look fakey and flat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 11:16 AM

Ohhh - so much! Let's see: how to look at separate channels of a B&W photo to look for the one with the least amount of dirt/stains, channel mixing, masking, colorization, paying attention to lighting effects when compositing two or more photos, smart sharpening, "fill flash", setting white & black points, and I'm sure at least a hundred other tips that I can't think of right now. Thanks everyone!!! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 11:55 AM
Janitor

I've learned that for every person that tries a restoration, there's another point of view about what goes into a good restore.

I think the breadth of the interest and rationales is even more interesting than the techniques.

It's often said that any good software supplies any number of different ways to accomplish the same task. Here we have the evidence why that is so.

I've also learned that while many people share my love of restoration and old photographs, everyone also has their own unique reasons and logic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 04:49 PM

This site has been an excellent resource. What I have appreciated foremost is the opportunity to compare my attempts at restoration against others. It forces you to be brutally honest about how well you are doing with a restoration when you have the opportunity to compare your work against others.It's kind of like playing duplicate bridge where everyone gets the same hand. I often ask myself which, if I were the client, version I would prefer. Also I have learned the importance of understanding what the client is looking for in a restoration as opposed to the way I think it should be.But the very best part is having folks around who share the same interests....something that is sorely lacking in my neck of the woods.
Paulette
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 11:40 AM

For me it’s opened up a lot of areas within Photoshop that I used to leave ’on the back burner’. Fascinating to see what other users create in the program even that which doesn’t come under ‘retouching’. Amazed to see the amount of effort put into colourising monochrome images and the reasons behind it. I await the first colourised Ansel Adams image with interest !

All in all a remarkable cultural experience seeing the international view of this type of work although I don’t think this new fangled colour photography will ever catch on !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 03:58 PM

I had been trying for months to learn how channels could be used to improve an image, but didn't really start understanding some of it until I came to this site. Now I'm inspecting channels in RGB, CMYK and Lab before I start, and mixing channels with SOME idea of what I'm trying to accomplish. I've also learned that there are a number of different ways to the same result, and this has freed me from the straitjacket of learning "THE method" to a particular result -- now I'm free to attempt different strategies and learn which ones help or hinder my reaching my target. I hadn't even used the 'median' filter before I read Tom's (I think) use of it in images.

I've also learned to stop and analyze more before I start. In life, I am used to analyzing before doing, but with restorations, I would often just jump in and start working on whatever seemed the worst part. Now I can step back and think about what to work on and what to leave intact to preserve its historical integrity.

As with Paulette and others, it's been great to compare my restorations with others and 'meet' folks with similar interests. This site is a real "community" which fosters learning, sharing, and professionalism.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2002, 12:27 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Since this is our birthday, I thought it might be appropriate to bring this thread back into play. What have you learned? Other than a ton of Photoshop techniques, I've learned that a site with forums really can go for an extended period of time without flame wars, thanks to all of you. You're a great group!

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon