RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

How Secure are your defences

Old 04-27-2005, 12:59 AM

How Secure are your defences

I recently answered a post by Neb concerning spyware, and advised her that one of the things she should always have was a secure firewall.

But how do you know if yours is secure.

For anyone wanting to test theirs, try the tests at Shields Up http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

And for anyone wanting to test their Anti Virus Mail Scanner.
http://www.webmail.us/testvirus

I've used both sites for some time, they came from a trusted source, and I've had no problems or issues from using them.

In the case of the mail test it's necessary to use your e-mail address to enable testing. You will not be bombarded with spam if you do this, and the site will erase your address within 48 Hrs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Gary, I found the ShieldsUp website a few years ago and followed the advice that I could understand so that I always test as "Stealthmode". However, I just ran across a GRCsucks website from a few years ago that says that the test is not accurate and that much of what Gibson says is untrue.

I never bought anything from Gibson's website, and consider his work as generous help to the rest of us, but I admittedly don't understand any of it, I just follow the recommendations and have had no negative repercussions.

Since you know more about these techniques than I, I was wondering what you thought?

grcsucks.com

"analysis of ShieldsUp" --
http://blog.netwarriors.org/articles...ldsup-analyzed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:08 AM

Hi CJ,

Forgot I'd posted this.

Interesting read. I still think Shields Up gives valuable feedback on the state of your defences, although in light of what I've read, not quite as valuable as I've hitherto thought.

It is always possible to come up with a setup that will fool an automated system check, and attacks get more sophisticated all the time. The Shields Up site has obviously not kept up with the times.

For those still wanting to test their defences, an altenative site is http://www.pcflank.com/art9.htm Tests are at the top on the left.

Note: This will not ensure that there is NO way you can be attacked, but it may make you aware of vulnerabilities in your system. I am not recommending that you use any products that may be advertised, only that the TESTS are worthwhile.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 04:49 AM

Since I went on ADSL about 5 years ago I've sat behind a router firewall (Draytek) and a software AV package F-Prot. I'm not trumpeting their benefits just that they have worked for me. When I was on dial-up I used Norton which once again worked fine but started to become a huge resource hungry monster hence the change to F-Prot. I've never had virus trouble the only problem was a pirate 'toolbar' which came with a program a friend had recommended he obviously hadn't used the version I got!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson

For those still wanting to test their defences, an altenative site is http://www.pcflank.com/art9.htm Tests are at the top on the left.

Note: This will not ensure that there is NO way you can be attacked, but it may make you aware of vulnerabilities in your system. I am not recommending that you use any products that may be advertised, only that the TESTS are worthwhile.

Gary
Thanks, Gary! The PCFlank tests also found my system to meet Stealth requirements by not responding to their inquiries, as did ShieldsUp. I'm taking some of the other tests also.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 PM

Hi

That’s an interesting link C.J. I have always trusted GRC.

I have run both GRC Leaktest and The PCFlank tests on my home PC and it passes both (If not responding means it passed?)

However on my PC at work, where I run Zonealarm the PC passed GRC Leaktest But failed PCFlank tests.

A report came back saying

Vulnerabilities Safe
Trojan horse Safe

Browser privacy check Danger!
While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information about you and your computer

Recommendation:
We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information.

Does this mean ZoneAlarm is not doing it job properly?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM

Hi Ken,

No. Whenever you take place in a communication, there is a handshake, which transfers data between the originator and the recipient.

It is an essential part of the communications process, and your internet connection would not work without it.

I believe there are products that can obscure your computer details (usually by going through a proxy), but Zone Alarm does not have this facility. There is no significant security risk caused by exposing the handshake data, and Zone Alarm will still give you good protection.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Thanks Gary.

I just wondered why I got this Danger message on the PC at work but did not get it on my Home PC.

Ken
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon