RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I just had the !best time!!

Old 06-11-2005, 02:13 PM

Well, I bought my new camera to take pictures of bugs with the super macro mode. Similar to http://www.beautifulbugs.com

Doesn't mean I still won't smush the living hell out of them too tho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duv
BTW, for those who have never seen a Horseguard, I've attached one here.

Dave
*lol* Love it Duv.

No - not the only bug lover (well within reason...), but I thought best to leave this rather strange thread alone!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks for weighing in Caitlin! Threads like this are definetly fun. Yuppicide is a young 'un, I'm getting feisty and cantankerous in my old age. Maybe he'll grow up..maybe I'll get young again and start smushin bugs. Vive le difference!..or is it la.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 02:55 AM

Don't have too many problems with bugs here (too cold and wet), but get a lot of spiders when the field next door is harvested in Autumn.

Thats usually when my wife suddenly finds she has a use for me after all. It still amazes me that she can be afraid of anything so small and harmless.

Better not let her see the bug squisher, or I'm out of a job.

Oh, and Dave, I think its La.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2005, 10:13 AM

I get some kind of bug in my bedroom a lot they come out of the central air conditioning vent. They're water bugs or something. Small, skinny but long, with lots of legs, fast as hell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 01:58 AM

About that link, the one about he uselessness of bug zappers. I really must disagree. At my dad's place in MN, evenings outside are nearly UNBEARABLE. And I thought I knew what alot of "skeeters" was. Being in MS we have quite a few. But there, in MN, you just cannot imagine. Every night when we were outside, he plugged in the zapper. Within a could hours time there were SO MANY mosquitos you actually could only barely make out the light. He would unplugg it when we went inside, and when we checked the thing every morning, he woudl shake them out of it, and the green grass below would be absolutely covered by a large black pile of dead mosquitos. Yeah, there may have been a few other bugs in there, but I assure you, it was far more than 2/3 mosquitos. This is just to say that I know it does kill them, and alot of them, but as to whether it actually keeps you from getting bit, seemed the only thing for that was spray or wind, and LOTS of it.

Dawn

P.S. I squash spiders and wasps if they are in the house. And if I have the courage. Otherwise I bring out MY bug zapper - its name is Stanley. lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 10:44 PM

Dawn, I think what the article was trying to point out was that bug zappers are "too" effective. The nature of zappers is that they "pull" bugs in from miles around. So yes, you end up with more skeeters than normal, more moths than normal, more bees than normal, more lady bugs than normal and more neat little critters I don't know the names of that will die by your big zapper. Of course, if you're a neighbour, you don't need to buy a zapper..your zapper will kill his bugs, his neighbours bugs and his neighbours bugs. But I bet you'll still get bit.
It reminds me of commercial fishing for Cod, yes, they catch they're Cod but also Octopus, Sharks, other inedible fish and of course lots of our favorite Flippers..all to die in the nets.

Frankly, I think you nailed it. Put lots of spray on. Or do what my family did..pack up and move out of Dodge. Billions of Skeeters in Ontario..virtually none on Vancouver Island, same as Seattle area.

It's all about choices. Work with the little bastards..you know they' ll win in the end or with them. In any case, I'll never agree to killing an innocent moth for the fun of it as in the original post.

I'm sure most down there would disagree with me but that's ok.

Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2005, 11:35 PM

Talking Meanwhile back in the wilderness

I mentioned living in the wilderness some time ago.. It was on the St. Johns river in central Florida.We spent a whole year there and as we got into mosquito season they were eating me up...

after ruining my health in my 20's I was on a health kick, part of which involved vitamin supplements. I'd heard something about certain ones that would keep me from getting bit do I asked the senior citizen at the local health food store ..

As I recall she said "well let's see you are already taking BREWERS YEAST" and I think she mentioned 1 more.. So she said Vitamin B1 and something else... B5 or b6 I think .. you could ask someone you trust at such a store.

She also said to cut out all sugar in the early afternoon.. I didn't drink booze which also might have been a sugar.

anyhow... that was it... and I mean right off... they would land but never bite. I was able to open the curtains nights and enjoy any breeze'.

I could smell the B-1 coming out of my pores so that may have been it but I think the lack of sugar also was important.

I decided to attach a photo from that time... I worked on it some time ago and replaced the sky before I read Flora's wonderful tutorial here on cutting around the trees etc.... If you look closely at the far shore it looks mowed... it was cattle land on that side and once away from the river you could walk for miles on well manicured grass... It was beautifull with numerous palm groves for shade while traveling over there... you had to watch your step or you'd trample all the colorful mushrooms rising from the cow patties.... yes nature was good to us there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st.-Johns-river.jpg (91.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 12:20 AM

A rather nicely composed image Rondon. Personally, I think all you need to take is 3 to 4 cloves of garlic a day.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2005, 01:54 AM

Yes, the garlics good, not only does it keep the bugs away, but everyone else as well.

Secret is to have a black dog, when I'm out with my two, the flies and bugs all congregate around them, and leave me well alone. Only trouble is when the dog comes and sits by you, so you have to keep shooing them away. Gives your dog a complex, but keeps you bug free.

I know I said we don't have many bugs here due to the wet weather, but I was wrong, its been hot for the last couple of days, and the bugs seem to be out in force, enjoying this freakish June weather.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon