Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What do you do?

Old 06-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by Paris
Someone has to.
Now I understand the discrete brown-paper bag avatar!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Too funny, with the brown paper bag. I thought you might be a Tampa Bay Bucs fan... LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Paris must get a lot of interesting perks from his company!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Wow so many talented people and varied occupations.
I completed my Dip Tch in 1977, began teaching shop (yes woodwork and metalwork) in 1978. Married, had 2 kids and divorced, and continued in a job that I disliked at best and loathed at worst. Have tried a few other things since then but am also a Marriage Celebrant (since 1995). I stumbled into Retouching and am on my "L" plates but am looking forward to learning here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to RP. We've got a lot of Aussie contributors here, so you should feel right at home.

Don't worry about being a novice, everyone here's friendly and helpful, and its a great place to learn.

Just one question, what's a Marriage Celebrant, I'm not familiar with the term.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
My kids are fed (and hobbies are supported) by my primary job as art director / pre-press director for a large format printing corporation. I've been at this same place for about 10 years. Nothing goes out the door before first coming across my desk.
Most of our clients are international Fortune 500 fleet-owning corporations but we're slowly migrating to P.O.P.
We're the Arthur Andeersen of the graphics world. You see some of our work every day no matter where in the world you are or what you're doing.

Prior to that I travelled the country for about a year as a professional decal installer with a crew of 5. We were the ones who changed out the majority of FedEx trucks from Federal Express to 'FedEx'

Prior to that I worked at a large sign company in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. We made the big signs with embossed faces, internally illuminated, neon, panaflex, etc.

My 2nd job is a professional decal installer. I've installed graphics on about 12,000 vehicles, boats, windows, etc.

My 2nd and a half job is as a prosumer photographer and videographer.

My 3rd job (and one I will ultimately retire from) is a semi-professional landscaper. I do subcontract work for my dad's sod farm and landscaping business. His failing health dictates that I will leave my profession to take over that business to support both our families.

My hobby is writing music of all genres in my humble home studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I am Humbled by the wonderful diversity among all you fellow members.

I left home and went into the Navy where I spent 6 years running a reactor on Polaris subs, got out, went to college as a bio major- never finished that last semester though.

Got my self a job as a journeyman electrician, later founded my own construction electrical company and ran that until I turned 50- 8 years ago. Found my then 50+ employees other jobs and quit.

These last 8 years have been good. I've actually learned enough PS to know that I don't know much so I have to get up tomorrow. I find things that I want to learn and set out for that knowledge. Right now, I'm trying to learn how to take panographs and stich them and get up to speed with CS2 and to find the perfect brine for baby back ribs...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2005, 07:28 PM
My career in short:

Apprenticeship with social insurance facility, finished exam, then immediately quit. Stamping is not something for me to spend eight hours a day with

Strolled around some years, working as a DJ, carpenter, salesman, whatever came across. Then after DJing as fulltime did not bring enough money due to bad conditions in this business started parttime in a call-center, made it fulltime, was somehow pushed into an IT-Helpdesk, became network-administrator.

Then a boosting career from admin to technical director, went down when the big IT crash occured in 2001/2002. Jobless for a year, then started up again in helpdesk stuff until January this year.

Then I swore to never work in a basement office without any daylight and stupid bosses around me. Situation here is disastrous and being employed means being afraid of losing your income every single day, so...

Now working fulltime as a retoucher, photo-shooting-coordinator, model-scout and whatever comes around in this business

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2005, 07:59 PM
This is an interesting thread. We "see" each other here in the forum but never really know anything about one another. I have a BA in literature (yeah, that's a real money maker! ) and an MA in psychology. I taught high school English for 6 years, then decided helping kids w/ problems was more rewarding than making them diagram sentences, got my LPC, and became a school counselor. I also had a small private counseling practice. Then I met my true love, married him, and quit work. He tells people I only counsel him now.

His job transferred us to Louisiana, and I used to go with him when he had week-long business meetings in N'Awlins; while he was meeting, I explored the French Quarter, and I used to stand and watch the street artists painting. One day I said, "I think I can do that." Whatever I do, I do it with all my might, and within 2 years, I was a member of an artist's gallery, actually selling a few paintings. Then I discovered digital art, and the real brushes are collecting dust.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm a graphic artisit working at a printshop. Been doing graphic arts since I was a kid, it is still very interesting to me. Along the way I have gone from strictly typography to 1/2 tones, veloxes, then to color and process color and process plus 2 colors drum scanning, digital printing, labels and more. At home I have more technology than my old typesetting family business. If anyone told me 20, no 15 no 10 years ago that in 2005 I would have a drum scanner, software for image manipulation and typesetting, I would have looked at them like they were from mars.

PS to Robert
" and to find the perfect brine for baby back ribs..."
A Cookshack Smoker really does the trick!

Last edited by Rodi; 10-06-2005 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon