Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

What do you do?

Old 10-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Over the past twenty-odd years, I have been a gardener, a bus driver, a warehouseman and a lorry driver. At present I am a senior officer for my local council, but looking at setting myself up as a property dealer. Alas, my retouching skills would not make me much money, despite being a wonderful outlet for my artistic tendencies.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Boy, oh boy! Such variety. I love it.

May as well throw my hat in the ring...

I went to school at McGill university to get my Bachelor of Music and have been a professional bass trombone player ever since: 15 or so years. I have had to have various jobs in order to pay bills and so forth as my freelance career developed. I have also been a janitor, parking lot attendent, managed a small concert all and also managed an arts retreat each summer for several years. I "retired" (at age 31, mind you) from the military 5 years ago after spending 10 years in. That also helped to pay the bills and enable me to continue playing bass trombone.

For the last five years I have lived in Cambridge, Ontario and been either a freelance bass trombonist or stay at home dad depending on which day of the week you talk to me. I really enjoy both lives but do find that if I do too much of one or the other I feel rather unbalanced.

I discovered photography about 2 years ago when I got my first SLR for my birthday. I read and photographed and learned all I could and am still learning everything I can. It is definitely a hobby and a real joy for me to take pictures. I recently inherited my grandfather's Kodak Pocket Jr. 1A camera and have taken my first steps with medium format photography today.

My interest in retouching and restoration basically started about a year ago shortly after I purchased my iMac. Realizing what kind of results I could get with basic editing of my own photos I moved on to family photos and progressed from there learning everything I could about PS and restoration and retouching in general. That learning never stops.

As of the end of August I have registered my photo retouching and restoration business, Wesmore Digital. I am continuing to play bass trombone but hoping that the business will grow to fill the gaps in my freelance schedule. Grow to fill the months between freelance seasons. And grow to when both kids are in school full time. We shall wait and see.

A big thanks to all the folks at retouchpro for the continued learning and, although you may not be totally aware of it, the incredible support in starting my new business. Kudos to you all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Hi there. I've done a few things since leaving college with a Business degree. I've worked in an amusement arcade by the sea, mending slot machines, painted a chicken processing factory floor in Wigan, England, worked in IT in a brewery, as an IT consultant in the City of London financial district working for banks and stock brokers, spent a year in DIYland renovating a house, couldn't get a job afterwards, so helped put fences up around fields, and eventually went into computers again in Yorkshire. The next plan is to *hopefully* move to Canada and open up a B&B in the Rockies.

In amongst all of that, I've just found this website and think that it's fantastic!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi there, Jason. Welcome to RetouchPRO

Painted a chicken a chicken processing factory floor in Wigan AND worked as an IT in a brewery!

Yippee!! Another geek artist on the threads!
Nice to have you around.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 08:17 AM
I grew up by playing, going to school, going to more school. Eventually deciding that I'd had enough school, I entered the real world and the work force.

I graduated college with a degree in Family Economics and Consumer Education and a minor in weaving and Educational Technology. The weaving was supposed to have been my textiles credits; but when I transfered colleged midway through my schooling, all of those credits transfered to the art department and voila' a minor in weaving.

Over the years, I've worked as a secretary/office manager, a stay-at-home mom, a librarian (a job I hated and would never do again), a cook, and a part time teacher. One job that has been consistent and rewarding is a lot of volunteer and service work through our church and its organizations.

My children are both grown and gone. Now I'm just beginning to make a name for myself as a retoucher and digital artist. I've done a few jobs for others in the past; and the jobs are beginning to come with more regularity now.

That's it in a nutshell.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Nutshell for me, I am an IT person, self employed and moved into the retail sector (my way) roughly 9 years ago, as IT was an industry with a shocking rep. and I felt I could make a difference giving personal service, prior to that was consulting in IT and evaluating 'fitness for purpose', prior to that I was a law clerk with a fascination for computers and haunted the techies (pre pc), launched into programming. I got into photoshopping for a mental outlet and started a 'fame' board of my closest clients, to whom I did terrible things to their photos and much to my disbelief, when I disassembled the board some 3 years later, everyone wanted to keep their photos. I still strongly advise and help to implement strategies, and on this basis need to know the abilities and learn the same with various software packages. Video and photography are the next most demanding applications only superceded by games which are always pushing limits to new highs. My passion is hardware however, I have never understood that hardware gurus and software gurus don't crossover, as I cannot appreciate how a software guru can do his stuff competently without hardware knowledge and vice versa. Got into IT in late 70's pre pc.

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-17-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Started life as a hardware engineer right out of college in the 70's, developing "microcomputers" (pre-PC) for businesses, mainly for electronic forms processing. Anybody remember the Zilog Z-80A? Anyways, these ran the CP/M operating system, with 'MBasic' from a little startup company called "Microsoft". I think they're still around today.

Joined a startup computer company in late 1981 and took up software. Worked there as the software manager until this past June, developing graphical Human-Machine Interface (HMI) and machine control products for factory automation. Those of you in the industry might know of ScreenWare, Interact, and InteractX.

The wife has been doing part-time genealogy consulting for many years, which got me involved in photo restorations. Since June I've just been eeking out what I can with the photo work, while I figure out what I want to do next.

Cassidy, I agree with you on the hardware/software crossover deal. Seems there aren't as many of us 'lumpyware' folks as one might think.

- Kurt
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
I graduated from university with a Bsc Hons in Interactive Systems in Video Games Design but decided the video games industry wasnt for me - long hours, lousy pay and too much gender prejudice.
Bumed around on the dole and started messing with photo retouching, got in touch with some local photographers and did some pro bono work to build up a portfolio.
I then wrote a php gallery to showcase my work but still jobless so moved into web development. So now I'm a full time web developer, part time photo retoucher/restorer, part time freelance web developer & designer and more.... so in the end I'm working longer hours than I would as a games programmer and still have no money after paying the bills... oh well heh
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon