RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Music Query

Old 11-30-2001, 10:23 AM

chris

i remember where i was when john died, now i will remember where i was and who told me when george died. (fell off the perch. new one for me.) sobering for front-edge boomers.

re bluegrass - a fun movie that features a lot of old style country which in my mind equates to bluegrass is "oh brother, where art thou?" great music, funny, and those who were here then say it catches the flavor of 30's mississippi accurately. alison kraus in @ least one of the cuts

do yall get all our movies? do you have your own movie industry independent of ours or anybody elses?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 12:37 PM

K,

Front edge boomers ??

There's a lot of money being pumped into film here and some interesting stuff coming out but it doesn't seem to be bankable because it is low budget and therefore lacks the special effects that form an integral part of most big earners. The dreaded Harry Potter has just come out over here (made here also) and is packing them in. The film is a thin plot beefed up with special effects although the sets and locations (Lots of castles etc) are pretty stunning.
Personally I'm into old stuff but two of my favourite US productions are 'The Sting' and 'The Shawshank Redemption' the latter being a cult film over here. Both are well written, strong story line and front rank actors

Went to the blood donor session this afternoon and it was standing room only. Attempted to jump queue claiming 'blue blood' but was pushed to the back !! I understand you can sell blood in the US, how much per gallon ? Everybody donates FOC here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 01:19 PM

I think you guys kinda nailed the difference between bluegrass and country. I come from a bluegrass family who has played around most of the south, but mostly Arkansas. I don't know any bluegrass player that plays a "violin" though...hehehe....we call it a fiddle. I played the mandolin for while. You won't see any electric instruments in bluegrass usually.......most country does. Country has more of a twang and relies on guitar and drums.....no drums in bluegrass....and bluegrass tends to sound a little higher pitched and some may say "whiney"

Nuthin' like a little "Orange Blossom Special" or some "Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms"

Bluegrass also comes from about the same roots as gospel and a lot of songs have a religious meaning. It's just good music
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 01:33 PM

OK you smarty pants I was going to say fiddle but I knew that Chris would come back with "what's a fiddle?" so I just said violin. (For Chris: a fiddle is exactly the same as a violin except instead of tucking it under your chin you play it down near your hip) I did forget the mandolin though Mediaase, so you got me there. I envy you because I love the sound of a mandolin. I used to wish I could play some good bluegrass music but my fingers usually got knotted up after the second note.

So to finally put this topic in perspective, If music were a drug, Bluegrass would be an amphetamine where country music would only be considered caffiene.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 01:49 PM

Ok on the fiddle, its a term used over here especially in Ireland although this playing it on the hip is unknown to me. Still need interpretation for 'Front Edge Boomer' ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 02:07 PM

oops...forgot to touch on that one...sorry....here ya go..it's called a dobro. It's the instrument my family is TRYING to get me to play.......neat sound to it.

http://www.gibson.com/products/oai/dobro/index.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 03:34 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Chris,

Soon after WWII ended, there was a big increase in the number of babies born (that's understandable). Those babies born after WWII, up until the mid 1960's(?) were referred to as baby boomers. Those were the years of the baby boom in the U.S.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 03:39 PM

Chris
I believe "Front edge Boomers" is refering to the first wave in the baby boomers born in the mid 40s right after D-day on up through the late 50's. There were a record amount of babies born in the US that became known as the Baby Boomer generation. I am at the back edge born in 57. Opps looks like Ed beat me too it.

Mediaase
Isn't that also known as a steel guitar?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 03:44 PM

um...well....not really. A steel guitar is electric and you play it sitting down. You've seen them...here is a pic I found on the net:

http://b0b.com/products/TommyWhiteVideo.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 05:04 PM

Ah yes. I remember now. Thanks for the clarification. Guess I never knew what those dobros were called before. Learning always learning.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon