RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

On the subject of Cats

Old 11-29-2001, 10:31 PM

On the subject of Cats

The more I read about everyones cats makes me think I had wierd ones. Mine were brothers one solid black (Sharky) and one siamese (Salem) and they were more like dogs disquised as cats. They loved attention from anyone and would actually fall at your feet if you looked at them. The black one was like a rag doll. I could actually wear him around my neck like a fur collar for hours. My siamese would stand up on his hind paws and tap someone sitting at the table on the shoulder to get their attention. As for climbing, they were fully clawed but I never had a problem with them climbing anything or clawing up anything. All I had to say is don't scratch that and they wouldn't. I knew cats in general were of a regal attitude but I think I wound up with something that only looked like cats. They lived 17 years and were a delight to watch with all their antics. I miss them and I think all this talk about cats lately brought back some great memories. To all the cat lovers on this site, I know how you feel. Even as strange as mine were they were cats and cats are extraordinary creatures aren't they?
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2001, 11:11 PM
Janitor

Cats are strange, and siamese are strange for cats.

Siamese are the most dog-like cats I've come across. I'm reading Lillian Jackson Braun "The cat who could read backwards" right now, about a siamese cat detective that capitalizes on that very characteristic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 08:47 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I have a dog that has cat like tendencies, but I never knew of a cat with dog like tendencies! My dog plays with a tennis ball (it's his life), and he pounces on it like a cat would on a mouse. My sister had two siamese cats that were *mean*. They would attack anyone who happened to walk by. I think it is very unusual for a male cat to behave in the way Debbie's cats did. But it could be that I'm totally wrong again (as usual).

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 09:31 AM

DJ, I don't think your cats were strange at all. We had a cat previous to these to who just LOVED people. When I got him (yes Ed, he was male) at 7 months old, he would literally follow me from room to room in the house. I had to be careful not to step on him if I turned around quickly. He always acted more like a dog than a cat to me. If we had a party, he was right there in the crowd. (I'll never forget having a BIG party with the majority of the people downstairs in the room with the pool table, music turned up - and the cat spent the night curled up under the pool table so he wouldn't "miss" any of the action. And what I loved most about his was that when I sat down on the couch to read, he would climb up behind me on the back of the couch and lie down on my shoulders - purring so loud I couldn't hear my husband talking to me from across the room. Unfortunately, we had to put him to sleep the day before I left for a 2-month trip to Viet Nam a year ago October.

Our two new cats (we're pretty sure they're sisters) have different temperaments - one is more "independent" than the other. The one who is more cuddly will let me do anything to her - even cradle her like a baby and rub her stomach. But both of these cats are more playful than any we've had before. We've had lots of laughs in the house lately because of these two.

Well, I could go on and on about our special cats, but don't want to bore all of you. -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 09:45 AM

DJ, I have a question for you - when Salem reached up to tap someone for attention, did he ask "please pay attention to little ol' me" (doglike behavior ) or did he tell the person "Hey! I'm tired of being ignored and it's YOUR turn to amuse me." catlike behavior

I had one cat, Hobbit, who never used her claws on furniture except for one time - I was busy doing something and had told her I was too busy to attend to her right then. I heard a ripping sound, and turned to see Hobbit sitting next to my sofa with one paw firmly planted in its material and her eyes directed to ME. I "heard" a message - "you have a choice, pay attention to me, or lose the sofa". She did not continue to rip the sofa while I quickly made a decision. I told her to stop and that I would feed her (or whatever else she wanted). She never bothered the sofa again. I never ignored her again.

Ed, I have a dog who was a puppy surrounded by my several cats. He is now 13 years old and though he does not "pounce on balls", he is catlike in other ways. He does not 'beg', but he will sit in front of the refrigerator staring at me until I bring out his cheese slice. My other dogs jump around excitedly when it's time for a walk, but he simply goes to the door and places himself ready to be first in line - no begging, no doubt, just the assuredness of the cat.

Jeanie, only a dog would be bored by talk about cats.
It's great to watch cats play. Purring is one of their greatest "features"... and snuggling, and...

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 11-30-2001 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I'm reading Lillian Jackson Braun "The cat who could read backwards" right now, about a siamese cat detective that capitalizes on that very characteristic.
I love the Cat Who books. I've read almost all of them. The town of Pickax reminds me of my own home town in the UP. Love that Cocoa's sleuthing abilities.

CJ
Salem would just decide that his antics weren't being noticed to his expectations and would stand up and with an extended paw (this was just the height of a human shoulder in the sitting position) and he would commence to tap several times until he was responded to. I guess he figured a simple meow wasn't going to work where a direct assult would.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:27 AM
Janitor

I'm just testing the "cat mystery book" genre, right now. I bought the first Mrs. Murphy, and the first Koko ("the cat who..."). I finished the Mrs. Murphy with ambivalent feelings. I just started the Koko book yesterday, so I won't be finished with it until this weekend.

I liked the Mrs. Murphy movie better than the book. I don't think they've made any Koko movies yet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:29 AM

have others observed the phenomenon of cats who object to human reading, namely, inserting themselves in your line of vision or, preferably, directly upon the reading matter itself?

i think every one i've had has done this. jealous and illiterate boors, methinks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:39 AM

Most definitely Kathleen! The classic one for me is when I want to read while lying in bed. I'm on my back with the book resting on my chest - and the cat nudges her nose under the book until she can get her whole head under and it's only a matter of seconds before she crawls up to give me a "kiss" on the nose - completely obliterating whatever reading material I might be holding.

Our two new cats however also object to me sitting at the computer. If I'm not diligent, they work their way up to the keyboard tray and lie down on the keyboard. If I AM diligent and am able to keep them on my lap, they will swat at my hands (and sometimes gnaw on them) while I type. They're not stupid - they know who their competition is.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2001, 10:43 AM

Not with my cats but my dog purposely puts her head right in my book or magazine when I'm reading and she does it everytime I'm reading. Must be a jealousy of time thing that all pets pick up on.
DJ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon