RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 PM

Re: Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

Wow, CJ, 2 people this year! I came across your post searching for the album, and I was able to order it. Now my kids can hear the "3 D's" in their minds anytime they read The Jabberwocky, just like I do. Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retouchia View Post
...Now my kids can hear the 3 D's in their minds anytime they read The Jabberwocky, just like I do. Thanks for the link!
Absolutively!! It's nice to know that there are others out there who read "The Jabberwocky" with added sound effects and the voices of the 3D's in their minds -- "The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, (whiffle, whiffle)..." "...One, two! One, two! And through and through The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! (snicker-snack!) He left it dead, (ohhh) and with its head He went galumphing back..." ("galumphing" is such a wonderful word - I've known dogs and people who "galumphed".) I'm so happy to find other people who appreciate this album and the 3D's work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2010, 09:41 PM

CJ

I stumbled across your post on a web search looking for the 3-D's. I was trying to remember the groups name yesterday, and I kept entering the names of their songs into an Amazon search to no avail. The name finally came back to me tonight, and thanks to the link you posted, I will soon be the proud owner of several 3-D, Cd's. My sister has the vinyl version from her college days, and I really enjoyed listening to it back in the days of 'record players'. Thanks much.

Chuck
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck55 View Post
CJ

... I will soon be the proud owner of several 3-D, Cd's. My sister has the vinyl version from her college days, and I really enjoyed listening to it back in the days of 'record players'. Thanks much. Chuck
That is great! I still have my vinyl copy also (if the cats haven't ripped the cover off), but the CD and the ripped MP3 versions are easier to play nowadays.

I found music on the internet too - I had been looking for a long time in stores, but when I found the right names on the web, I was able to get a copy of the album. The internet is cool, and the 3Ds are Cool.
So glad that the info helped you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Hi

I guess I have a rather large surprise for you...

I actually met all of the 3D's back in the 60's when they lived in the Utah county area of Utah. They were Friends of a Friend of my Dads. We had all of their albums, and singles. They were actually a Mormon Music group at the time, until one of them as I recall left that religion late 1960's I actually met their entire families. Just wanted to let you know that, hope that helps your search for them. Gregg Bodine
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM

phoenix11861, happy to hear from another person who actually met the 3D's - there are previous posts from other people who also knew some of them. I'm not actually searching for the guys - (I'll be content with my note from Denis S.) as long as I have my copies of their music - now their music is on my iPod rather then using the CD, and if they invent some new media form - I'll copy their music to that just so I can keep it close. Glad your dad was a fan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2012, 07:48 PM

I came across this when I was searching for a recording of "The Jabberwocky" for my daughter. My dad used to play this record when I was a kid. He owns a bunch of bluegrass and folk records from the late fifties/ early sixties (Kingston Trio, the Rooftop Singers, the Sherwood Singers, etc.). I remembered the name "The 3Ds" when I saw this post. I think he has several of their albums.

-Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Someone uploaded a copy (not MP3) on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BCo6YPHLs

So you wanted to share it with your daughter? It's the only way I can read or hear the poem since I first fell in love with their musical version - there are a few other versions written by other people on Youtube (I'd never heard them before) - didn't like them, but then I'm stuck on the 3D's version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the link.

I purchased a copy of the CD from Phoenix Records.

I ought to contact them to see if they've considered distributing their music via Spotiy/Itunes/Pandora. With the popularity of modern folk-inspired groups such as Mumford And Sons, they might be able to increase their fan base if they were linked as a similar artist.

Many 60's folk groups have almost been forgotten. It would be a shame if such a rich sampling of American popular music was lost due to mere lack of preservation.

-Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM

I could be wrong, but I think that Denis is solely behind Phoenix Records - not sure that either of the other guys is involved. Go ahead and make your suggestion - he might have been thinking about it or not, and hearing an encouraging voice might make a difference. 3D's were not known nationally as far as I know - i only found out about them from a college roomie from Utah, and I never ran into anyone in my working life who was familiar with them - only here have I found a few people whose parents liked/loved them. When I read YouTube comments for music of the 50's/60's - pop vocals, folk, classic rock - often it is younger people saying they wish they had lived in that period because they love that music. That's a small sample, but there will always be people who simply love good music. When I have chores that I don't want to do, or have real free time, I can get lost for hours on YouTube watching live performances of groups and singers from my teen/college years. Of course my iPod has a bunch also.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon