RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Re: Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

I'm not sure when my dad picked up the album, but it was either while he was in college in Hunstville, TX or in the Navy. I guess they managed to sell a few copies outside of Utah
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Thumbs up Re: Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

My Dad loved 3DS and I memorized all those poems as a little girl! (Really significant because my dad died almost 30 years ago and knowing all of these favorite songs have drawn my children close to the grandpa they never knew.) I've taught my 4th grade school class many of the poems and quote the "Jabberwacky" to my children and grandchildren....They get such a kick out of it. Thanks for opening up this forum for all of us who remember.
I went right to the order page and purchased a CD.....I'm so excited!
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Rednutt - glad to find another fan of the poetry and the music !

When my college friend introduced me to the 3D's music, there were 3 of us who really loved them. Never met anyone after college who was familiar with them, but now via the internet, have found more people than I ever knew who enjoy them - love the connection of the internet. :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Any of you folks listen to folk music in the 1960's? If so, do you remember a unique album which added music to well known poetry -- New Dimensions in Folk Songs. The writers/artists were the 3D's (now listed as the Original 3D's since there's a current group with the name, I guess).

I kept my one copy of this album safe from scratches, warping, etc. for 40 years, and due to the wonders of the internet was finally able to obtain a CD of the album. I had obtained a second copy of the LP a few years ago via the internet, but had almost given up on a CD being made. While ripping my CDs to MP3's, I decided to do another search for the album and was gratified to find it available from one of the original artists.

I will be surprised if anyone on this website is familiar with the group and this album, but the internet has happily surprised me numerous times before, so I thought it was worth a post -- I would love to talk to anyone who remembers it from the '60's, especially if you LIKED it!

I believe that this is the last piece of music that I have been searching for years to obtain, and as with the other pieces I wanted, I found them via the internet -- one song I had loved hearing a few times on the radio in the early-mid '60's but didn't know the title -- had looked for it in record stores for years, but finally found it via the net. I LOVE the internet!!

If you remember the album OR if you just would like to hear a sample of "The Jabberwocky" put to music, or "The Charge of the Light Brigade", "The Highwayman", "Richard Cory", "Gunga Din", "Annabel Lee" or a few other works of poetry -- click on the link and click on 'Listen' on the lefthand side of the page next to your choice.
"and the momrath outgrabe..." I never read "The Jabberwocky" without HEARING the 3D's music and voices in my mind -- it added SO much to an already unique and delightful piece of poetry.

http://www.phoenixrecords.org/in3ds_poetry.php
I just would like to thank you for this posting. I stumbled on this quite accidentally. I loved this group when I was a kid. I must be the luckiest person on this entire page. I have seen this group live in concert twice when I was a teenager. I clicked the link and immediately purchased the cd. Thank you so much for providing this information.
Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Facer View Post
... I loved this group when I was a kid. I must be the luckiest person on this entire page. I have seen this group live in concert twice when I was a teenager...
Bill
Bill - I agree that you are the luckiest to have seen them in concert !! Was it in Utah, or did they tour out of state? Happy to find another fan, and hope that their music is running thru your mind like it does mine and others here. Whenever I read Jabberwocky, i always hear them ("gire and gimble in the wabe!" :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Would have loved to see this when it was new. Hello all
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 PM

I grew up listening to my mom's 3D's records, but to date I have only been able to find the poetry album for purchase. I would KILL to have their old testament songs & any of the others, if you or anyone else knows where to find them & under what titles!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 PM

I too grew up in that innocent era of bluegrass, ballad singers, and musician hopefuls. Fell in love with the Kingston trio, the Three D's, and Smothers Brothers. Started a singing group (no name) and sang the favorites of the day. Highlight was while we did a school rally...when Dick, Duane, and Dennis stepped in and watched us from the back of the gym. That afternoon they did a performance for the school. They did a fantastic job. From that time on, I wanted to be a banjo player (went out that weekend and bought a 5 stringer)- little did I know just how difficult it was to keep my fingers from cramping up on me. It got so bad I couldn't play any longer. No problem I wasn't any good anyhow! Fond memories of that time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM

I saw them do a concert in Preston, Idaho, then again in Rugby, I'D. Happy days lived to the fullest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2016, 11:12 PM

Hello CJ Swartz, I joined today because I saw your post. When I was 8 or 9 years old I lived just a few houses away from Duane Hiatt, 1 of the 3 Ds. I used to love to sit at Duane's house and listen to them play. I think they enjoyed having us there as much as we loved being there. Actually sitting in his house and hearing them play was a great experience in my life. Memories that can never be forgotten, even if I am now 60 years old it is as fresh in my mind as if it were yesterday.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon