RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM

Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

Any of you folks listen to folk music in the 1960's? If so, do you remember a unique album which added music to well known poetry -- New Dimensions in Folk Songs. The writers/artists were the 3D's (now listed as the Original 3D's since there's a current group with the name, I guess).

I kept my one copy of this album safe from scratches, warping, etc. for 40 years, and due to the wonders of the internet was finally able to obtain a CD of the album. I had obtained a second copy of the LP a few years ago via the internet, but had almost given up on a CD being made. While ripping my CDs to MP3's, I decided to do another search for the album and was gratified to find it available from one of the original artists.

I will be surprised if anyone on this website is familiar with the group and this album, but the internet has happily surprised me numerous times before, so I thought it was worth a post -- I would love to talk to anyone who remembers it from the '60's, especially if you LIKED it!

I believe that this is the last piece of music that I have been searching for years to obtain, and as with the other pieces I wanted, I found them via the internet -- one song I had loved hearing a few times on the radio in the early-mid '60's but didn't know the title -- had looked for it in record stores for years, but finally found it via the net. I LOVE the internet!!

If you remember the album OR if you just would like to hear a sample of "The Jabberwocky" put to music, or "The Charge of the Light Brigade", "The Highwayman", "Richard Cory", "Gunga Din", "Annabel Lee" or a few other works of poetry -- click on the link and click on 'Listen' on the lefthand side of the page next to your choice.
"and the momrath outgrabe..." I never read "The Jabberwocky" without HEARING the 3D's music and voices in my mind -- it added SO much to an already unique and delightful piece of poetry.

http://www.phoenixrecords.org/in3ds_poetry.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 AM

CJ,

Yes, I grew up listening to my dad's Kingston Trio records. I'm not familiar with the 3D's though. I did follow your link and listened for a bit and they sound a little like the Kingston Trio. Interesting stuff.

Isn't it amazing what you can find on the internet? I've been able to find some old LP's from way back that I wanted, really obscure things.

Glad you posted this, it's fun to see others get excited about music. I think we should have a music thread!

Annabel
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 07:18 PM

Annabel,

I like the Kingston Trio a lot also. The 3D's didn't become famous like the Kingston Trio did, and it looks like no one here knows them besides me. It was worth a try! The internet is a powerful tool for searching for info, and for making connections -- I'll keep hoping another fan comes along later to read this thread....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 AM

Re: Music from the '60's --The 3D's Poetry Album

I just found this thread while searching for info on the 3 D's. I purchased their album in the '60s after hearing their music on a radio station in Miami, FL. My album is still in very good shape, though the cover is taped, and it is mono. I'll be checking out the source link for the CD you mentioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Interesting, CJ. They sound so much like the Kingston Trio!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassblaster2 View Post
I just found this thread while searching for info on the 3 D's. I purchased their album in the '60s after hearing their music on a radio station in Miami, FL. My album is still in very good shape, though the cover is taped, and it is mono. I'll be checking out the source link for the CD you mentioned.
Yippee!! I'm so glad you found this info, and hope that you enjoy your visit to their website. Which songs are your favorites? I enjoy each poem/song, but I especially enjoy "Jabberwocky", "Soft Rains will Come", "The Highwayman", "The Charge of the Light Brigade", and "Annabel Lee", and .... Denis Sorenson even wrote a note on my CD cover in return to my note to him. My college roommates are the only other folks that I know who know the 3D's -- one of them is the person who introduced us to their music. She was from Salt Lake City and was familiar with them.

Swampy, there is a resemblance in sound to the Kingston Trio, but there are differences in style, choice of music, and lesser use of the banjo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 AM

CJ, thanks so much for the info on how to get this great album. I ordered it last week, and anxiously await its arrival. I was raised in the 60's listening to this album of my parents. I have sung these songs from memory for 30 plus years.....I love richard cory and annabell lee. I am so excited to get the cd. Thanks for the info!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRocks View Post
... I ordered it last week, and anxiously await its arrival. I was raised in the 60's listening to this album of my parents. I have sung these songs from memory for 30 plus years.....I love richard cory and annabell lee. I am so excited to get the cd. Thanks for the info!!!!
Yippee! Every year or so someone new comes along who loves the 3D's and their music! Their version of Annabell Lee is so beautiful and haunting. Hope you enjoy the cd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2009, 09:38 AM

I Got the cd and on the back of the package was a note saying "HD Thanks for your order, please tell your friends about it. Thanks Dennis." I found out that the site you posted is run by Dennis one of the 3D's. I let my dad take the cd yesterday on a trip he is taking to Arizona. He actually went to school with and knows 2 of the 3. Dennis Hiatt and Dick Davis. Anyway...he was excited that I got the cd and I am sure is loving it on his road trip. I had forgotten about several songs on the album. "Soft Rains Will Fall" was one I had forgotten....love that song!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRocks View Post
... I let my dad take the cd yesterday on a trip he is taking to Arizona. He actually went to school with and knows 2 of the 3. Dennis Hiatt and Dick Davis. Anyway...he was excited that I got the cd and I am sure is loving it on his road trip. I had forgotten about several songs on the album. "Soft Rains Will Fall" was one I had forgotten....love that song!
That is so cool that he knows the performers! Also cool that you loaned him your new cd. I received a note from Denis on my cd also - I have kept the note.

"Soft Rains Will Fall" is one of my very favorites - inspired me to read other poems by Sara Teasdale. The 3Ds sweet singing enhances the haunting lyrics ...

"...Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon