RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Halloween plans

Old 10-14-2005, 03:30 AM

I just can't believe this. It would never even occur to people over here to not send their kid to a party because someone else may be dressed as a witch or a goblin etc.

Tell these people to get a life. OK, some kids may get a little frightened, but they'll get over it. What kind of message are you giving your kids if you think they should be protected from absolutely everything that might upset them. Life just doesn't always suit you in every possible way, live with it.

I think you should keep having the parties, and let the kids dress however they want, and if some neurotic parent doesn't want to send their kids, then it's their loss. Don't pander to these idiots, you'll only make them worse.

Rant over.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM

You know kids dressed up as little scary things are not scary at all especially to other kids their age. I think it might actually be a little theraputic. Its really odd. We live in a VERY religious town (the Baptist run a good portion of it) and every time a new Harry Potter book comes out there are protests and the like. I'm a Christian and I've read MANY books, watched MANY movies, live on the History & Discovery Channels, but I just don't understand why some folks are so closed minded. I really enjoy Halloween (and no I don't scare the wee little kids - just the older ones) not for the candy or anything like that. I like to see children dressed up, using their imaginations, pretending - having fun. Its another opportunity to enjoy your family and friends in a festive atmosphere. We need to enjoy these times, life is too short.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM

What's to protest about in a Harry Potter book ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
I just can't believe this. It would never even occur to people over here to not send their kid to a party because someone else may be dressed as a witch or a goblin etc.

Tell these people to get a life. OK, some kids may get a little frightened, but they'll get over it. What kind of message are you giving your kids if you think they should be protected from absolutely everything that might upset them. Life just doesn't always suit you in every possible way, live with it.

I think you should keep having the parties, and let the kids dress however they want, and if some neurotic parent doesn't want to send their kids, then it's their loss. Don't pander to these idiots, you'll only make them worse.

Rant over.

Gary
LOL aren't rants fun though??? Anyhoos, as for the parties, I think we may invite a few close friends over and do more of a halloween slumber party this year. The other way was way too expensive anyways and you're right some of these parents are just horrible. My son went to his dance class yesterday and the one lady went off on how children shouldn't be allowed to dress up like those things.. (my sons little girlfriend is going to be a devil and that's what started the conversation) and I didn't say anything to her. Didn't have to. She said that where she lives the children are encouraged to even dress up as biblical characters, and some other lady said, well they do talk about the devil. Ummm... I didn't stay for the rest because my diet coke almost went out my nose. I wasn't ready for that. Anyways, like I said I completely respect others beliefs and feelings... it's when they make a big deal or ruin things for others that it bothers me.

So about my halloween plans, .. like I said I decided last night to do a slumber party thing but we're going to go trick or treating first by my kids grandmother's house. Then we are going to make homemade doughnuts and caramel popcorn to eat while watching "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" and then an old tape of DTV Halloween. It was taped in the 80's and it was Disney TV. They used to show that on Sundays a lot and it's where they put songs on and have the cartoons go to it. Love it, plus I left the commercials in and it brings back so many memories. That's when most commercials were tolerable. I also have a few Holloween kid books and I thought we could read one before the kiddies crash. I think the kids will have fun. It's supposed to be nice weather too WOOHOO!!!!! Last year it was really hot with 99% chance of mosquito bites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 10:44 AM

"Witchcraft is evil"
At least that is what is thought of the book even though it is completely fictional. Its funny. People go off on Harry Potter, but not C.S. Lewis's "Chronicals of Narnia" or Tolkin's "Lord of the Rings" I wonder if its because the later are considered classics. To me, Harry Potter, is a modern classic. I LOVE them! I'm so pleased that fantasy and scifi is making a come back. I'm a nerd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 10:48 AM

Or why don't they pick on Wizard of Oz??? I bet the kids could have come dressed as Dorothy, the scarecrow, the tinman but not the witch no no no not her. Not the good witch either cause she's a witch.

Ok I'm done now...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 06:50 PM

Hi Twinkissed, glad to hear you're having the party, sounds like great fun for the kids. Glad you're not letting the close minded spoil your celebrations.

Grafx, like you I think Harry Potter's a moderm classic. Started reading them when a kids TV programme recommended the 1st book to their viewers. Read C.S. Lewis and Tolkien when I was a kid, still read them from time to time. (Guess I haven't quite lost the child in me).

Bought the first 3 Harry Potters for my wife as a "surprise" Christmas present, now we fight over who gets to read the latest book first, when it comes out.

Guess some people can see "evil" in anything, if they protest about a kid's book. Funny, I thought the church preached tolerance, and that we'd stopped burning witches (as well as use of the ducking stool). Seems some people don't realise what century we're living in.

Anyway, best wishes to you both, have an enjoyable Halloween.

Gary
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Janitor

A cool Halloween projects page.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Thanks Doug those are great. I saw an idea once (didn't see it on there but it may have been lol) where you take a plastic glove and fill it will hawaiian punch or red koolaid or even just red colored water and put it in the freezer then place it in your punch bowl. You'll have a floating hand and as it melts the red well.... it looks ooky. I had small kids at my party so I didn't do it but I still think it sounds fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
Thanks Doug those are great. I saw an idea once (didn't see it on there but it may have been lol) where you take a plastic glove and fill it will hawaiian punch or red koolaid or even just red colored water and put it in the freezer then place it in your punch bowl. You'll have a floating hand and as it melts the red well.... it looks ooky. I had small kids at my party so I didn't do it but I still think it sounds fun.
A floating hand sounds fun. How about a floating head? It's even topical because it's made with an image.

Pierre
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jarhead02.jpg (20.5 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon