RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Halloween plans

Old 10-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Janitor

Halloween plans

Halloween is my favorite holiday

I used to love handing out treats to all the little kids, but they're getting older (or at least more cynical) and now I seem to get more complaints (why'd you give her a Mounds and I got a 3 Musketeers when Mounds is MY favorite? Can I get a Mounds, too? PLEEEEEEEZE?) than I'm comfortable with. So last year I went to a local mall and watched the merchants hand out candy to the really tiny kids (those are the cute ones, my favorite are the ones that are just gape-mouthed amazed at what's going on).

Do you have any Halloween plans?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:31 AM

Bah humbug! I put the dogs out in the garden, that keeps the little perishers at bay.

Only kidding, we don't celebrate Halloween really over here, we get the odd few kids round, but a few sweets and biscuits keep them content.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 02:46 AM

This tradition seems to have crept into Australian culture slightly in the last 5 years through the influence of American TV, with the odd sugar-crazed child risking life and limb knocking on strangers doors in the local streets, but it's still an oddity.

Last edited by Caitlin; 10-08-2005 at 05:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 04:49 AM

I'm not really a fan of Halloween, especially costume parties for adults.

About all I do is hand out candy to the little kids. I buy a few different kinds of candy and put everything into one basket and let them pick their favorite.

The "Trick or Treat" hours in my town are limited from 5:00 - 8:00 pm. Most of the young kids come around between 5:00 and 7:00. Usually I turn out the lights after that.

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2005, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
.... with the odd sugar-crazed child risking life and limb knocking on strangers doors in the local streets...
I couldn't have described Halloween better. LOL!!!!

Lorraine
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2005, 02:29 PM

My FAVORITE thing to do is to camp out on a friends porch (one who lives in a subdivision) as a scarecrow. I have a berlap "mask" that I made and stitched all up, stuff hubby's pants with straw, big over sized gloves and a hat. I sit and wait patiently for the little munchkins to come up on the porch, get their goodies and turn-around to leave. At that point, I jump up and scream, they scream, we all scream....its such good fun!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Grafx, you seem to be having the most fun of anybody. I don't care much for Halloween, but the little ones are sweet and funny. Maybe I should do what Doug does and go to a mall and watch them get candy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 05:35 PM

I used to love Halloween, it used to be fun, safe, and accepted. Now between the overpriced costumes and candy, the safety issues, trick or treating at the mall with Christmas decorations up, sometimes having the night changed to a different night, you can only go between certain times sometimes and they don't really let you know exactly what they are, and all the other ways it's been messed up. Grrrrr... Funny... we have time limits on Halloween but not Fourth of July and neighbors can throw fire crackers until 1 in the morning. Plus, now kids can't even wear costumes to school anymore so you pay or take time to make a costume that they wear for about 3 hours. And even if they could, there's too much, you can dress up but not as this or that because it's evil, etc. I tried throwing a Halloween party once for my boys because it was safe and I wanted Halloween to be fun again for them... sooooo many parents asked me to change the name from a Halloween party to a Fall Celebration and not let children dress as certain things. And I had to send an invite to everyone in my child's class to make it fair so that's why I got all these phone calls about it. Then my kids got upset because they couldn't understand why some of their friends weren't allowed to come. It's just not the same but somehow, I have to try and have a good time for the kids sake like always. Wow do I sound bitter today or what ????LOL. Really I'm not usually this bad
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 05:45 PM

What are the certain things they can't dress as??
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 PM

witches, little devils , zombies, vampires, basically anything that is creepy or scary. If it's not a cartoon character or a pumpkin or bunny rabbit, lol. I mean luckily my kids don't even want to be those things so I don't have to see them dissapointed that way, they like being video game characters. Still, it made it so hard to have a Halloween party and for some of the younger kids at school. I ended up having three little witches at the party anyways. They were really cute actually, little first graders. I love seeing the kids all dressed up. That year I was Cruella De Ville and my babies dressed like puppies. Note, never wear a costume that requires heels if you will be in the grass... a lot... Oh and please don't get me wrong, I completely understand people have their own beliefs and I respect that, I just hate seeing kids from different families disappointed because they really just don't understand.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon