RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

I miss my cable connection!

Old 12-07-2001, 02:48 PM

AT&T

Jeanie,

Sorry to hear that you are going to be "down and out" for that long. Hope that Quest and AT&T get together on the fiber in your area.

One good thing (sort of) is that AT&T upped the speed of the cable downloads to a full 1.5Mbps (T1 or better). I have AT&T (Ex-excite) and was fortunate enough to have it back up withen 2 days. I have run speed tests on the "new" service and can say that is IS faster then a T1 and much faster then it used to be.

Hopefully AT&T will fix the other problems, they like to change the DHCP numbers (causes you to be directed back to there transition page) so that you have to reboot in order to get your PC to talk to the modem correctly.

I have been on the phone with there top level (althought they still didn't know much, new crew) support and was told that the "bumps" and "errors" would be fixed ASAP. It is a MINOR annoyance. I just restart my router and I am up and running.

Hope your service is back and up to speed soon.

Paul Rupp
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2001, 04:21 PM

Jeanie,

Just my opinion...

The only time I've ever partitioned a drive (regardless of size) is when I've wanted to run more than one operating system on it. Definitely not a common occurence. Unless you have need of that, multiple partitions have always seemed like an unnecessary aggravation to me...and one that you live with for a long, long time.

[However, it is possible to change the partitioning at a later date with a neat little program called Partition Magic. Not sure where you get it or how much it costs. Best just to avoid the whole thing, though.]
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2001, 08:24 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Jeanie,

Sorry to hear about all of your problems with AT&T. That sounds like a real nightmare! Like Tom, I'm counting my blessings with a dial-up connection. Hope you're back up and running real soon.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2001, 09:07 PM

Jeanie,

So sorry for your headache of a problem!
I've gone thru some of the headaches of resetting email, etc. and it sure is one of the worst parts of computing.

In our area, the @Home cable company was able to make a deal to keep customers connected. I've been thinking of getting myself cable access for Christmas, and am more encouraged to do so after hearing how much you miss it. My area isn't covered by the @Home contractor, but there is a small cable company that has their own system. I've been using them for TV cable access successfully for over a year, so I guess I'll give them a try.

Doug recently referred to partitioning as "for serious techies". I'd ask him if he's done it before.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Janitor

Someone start a partitioning thread over in the hardware forum with specific questions and I'll do what I can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2001, 11:57 PM

Sorry to not jump back in sooner - just not enough time in the day to get everything done these days.

Chris (& DJ), Yes, cable is MUCH faster than a modem/phone line. I think it's similar to DSL, but I don't know the detailed specs, so can't tell you the difference. All I know is that I was able to download a 45MB file (new driver update for an HP scanner) the other day (when I still had my cable access) in 20 minutes. Last night I had to download 5MB of updates for another application via my 26K baud modem connection and it took me 45 minutes. Ugh.

Also Chris, I do backup all of my saved "favorites", but I never thought to put all of the sites where I've registered in one folder so that I can access them easily. I have so many "favorites" that I'm afraid it would take me longer to go through the list and pick out ones that I might have registered at than to just pick my brain.

Tom, "ropes" huh? You don't have trouble with them rotting? :p

Paul, thanks for letting me know your experience with the new service. I had heard it was faster, so it's nice to know you notice it. At least I have something to look forward to.

CJ, I LOVE my cable modem!! It's "tortuous" surfing the web on a dial-up after you've gotten used to a high-speed connection. Before we got our cable service, my husband used to go to the library if he had any serious "surfing" to do because they had a high-speed connection and he could do his research in less than half the time he could with the dial-up modem at home.

Tim, thanks for the comment about having to live with partitions "for a long, long time." I knew that, but didn't really register what it meant until you put it that way.

Doug, I'll see you over in Hardware.

Thanks everyone, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2001, 12:06 AM

Smile

YEAH!! My cable connection is back - even sooner than I'd hoped! I so excited I can hardly stand it!

Dancing around my office, Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2001, 06:18 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Cool! I can feel your excitement all the way over in Indiana.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2001, 09:36 AM

Hey Jeanie, that's great!!! Didn't even have to get on their case about it. I bet some people did though or you may not have gotten it that quick. Also it's just good business to keep your customers content no matter how remote they are. Glad to have you back with us at light speed again.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2002, 03:07 AM

Thanks, Jeanie! After hearing how much you missed your cable connection (so glad that you were reconnected quickly), I called to set up my own cable connection. I looked forward to being able to use my phone and my computer at the same time, but was frustrated when my cable installer found a slice in the cabling my builder had installed in my computer room. The installer really had to struggle to get enough cable out to attach, but did the trick! The speed difference is wonderful, as is the "instant on" nature of cable -- no more waiting to see if the log on is successful.

Wheee! I'm surfing with speed!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon