RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Salon
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Salon Just hanging around...
(Social area, where non-retouching talk is encouraged)

Music you like

Old 12-09-2005, 06:44 AM

Music you like

Here is an online radio station that you train to play music you like. You get to discover new songs and artists in the same styles. You need to create an account. Just plug in any plausible zip code if you live outside the US.

Since it's only songs available in the US, it gives a quite distorted reflection of my tastes. No artists singing in French, no Buena Vista Social Club, no Amalia Rodrigues, no Swingle Singers. I did manage to seed the Modern Jazz Quartet and the Be Good Tanyas.

Pierre
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 04:08 AM

Pierre!

I did read this when you wrote it, but didn't check out the link. When I found Pandora later, I loved it -- I should have just followed your guide when you suggested it -- I could have been listening to the music I love longer!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 04:58 AM

You can also try www.last.fm - works fine for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 AM

great finds. am now using the pandora freebie. thanks folks!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 08:25 AM

Pierre, ditto what CJ said. I just now went there, and it's wonderful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2005, 10:27 PM

found a limitiation on pandora. cant complain; it is free, but you can only skip X number of songs per hour and then you get a message that you cant skip any more right now due to their licensing. ah well.

also, can we post our station names and have others find/listen? seems to be an email thing to do this, but i was wonering if you could just post your station name and let others go there.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 12:29 AM

Quote:
found a limitiation on pandora
Yes, Craig, it's free and the limitation only lasts for a few minutes. I just kept creating new stations and deleting them when they didn't pan out. Who was the first artist you requested? Mine was Michael Buble'.

Edit: I made a discovery. Our electricity surges off fairly often, so I've got a back up battery which keeps the computer on, but I always lose my cable connection temporarily. Well, it surged off, and the battery beeped just after I had turned on my "radio station" at Pandora.com, and I figured, well that's it for the music, but it kept playing, uninterrupted, going from one song to the next.

Last edited by raniday; 12-30-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 04:04 PM

cat,

my first artist was neil diamond. he's always been a favorite of mine. the rest is an eclectic mix of similar artists and music. i call my station 'craig's easy listening' but maybe i'll rename it to 'music to photo edit by'.

as for your internet connection going out and the music still playing, that must mean they are pre-loading a certain number of selections. i also believe you could bypass some of the limits by resetting your cookies. no doubt some of the info is being kept there. but oh well, it's not a biggie. i just found it a bit odd that that would be one of the limits on this thing.

as for creating other stations, havent tried that yet. does that get you past that one limit i mentioned in any way?

i also noticed that if you open the pandora site with more than one browser window, you get another song playing on that browser different from the one you already have opened. so, that would be another way of bypassing a given song

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM

Craig, right now my stations are Alison Krauss, Nickel Creek, Emmylou Harris, and Michael Buble. I've deleted a few that didn't go in the direction I wanted. When I reach my limit of refusals on one station, I just switch over to another. Have you also noticed that you can save a song you really like to your favorites list? I'm enjoying this so much because there are no radio stations around here that play my kind of music, and Pandora is introducing me to so many artists I didn't know about. I think that's what they had in mind
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 PM

cat,

ok, that sounds like it shld work ok

alison kraus is good. and that reminds me of another i havent put on my station yet, lee ann rimes. i fell in love with her voice the first time i heard it.

yup, saw the favorites thing, but havent used it yet. does that list exist for each station separately or does it span over everything for the one user?

as for radio stations that play what i like, forget it. i quit listening to actual radio quite a while ago. well, mostly. but i do like this pandora thing. i mean what station would play everything from bach to andy williams to deep purple and so on. you have to remember that i grew up with tv when it actually had real variety shows

and yes, i've heard a few new (new to me) artists that i've enjoyed. i've currently got a vince gil paused. great voice.

i've been a tiny bit disappointed by not being able to find one or two artists i like. dick glass was one and ed ames is another. oh, and frank fontaine. frank fontaine was the guy on the red skelton show that played in a regular skit as a janitor in a bar skit. he had an amazing voice.

i just wonder if they're making any money off this thing.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Salon